BCBS-NC Just Killed SEP Comp

In an article from sometime in 2014, they had 1/5 of their subsidized business take out a policy, have a procedure performed, and quit paying their policy. That would have been well over 50,000 people. Hard to make those numbers work....

I would think with all the internal sales people no longer being able to sell much in house, they would be moved to customer service. Just saw they are returning calls, and hope to have people called back WITHIN A WEEK!!!!

"If you have additional questions, please visit bcbsnc.blog.com/updates for the most up-to-date information. If you need to call customer service to resolve a problem with your health insurance, be aware that wait times are still long. We are scheduling callbacks, but during this busy time we expect most customers to receive a return call within a week or so of their request."

We are scheduling callbacks, but during this busy time we expect most customers to receive a return call within a week or so of their request."

It's amazing they would even put these words on their recording and/or website. "A week or so" could be anything beyond 7 days! If you remain on hold, how long is that wait?

If these carriers would've charged about $40 to $50 more per member per month they would not be in this situation.

EDIT: If they did that their loses might have actually been greater by discouraging enrollment from healthy people that are not subsidy eligible or receive very little subsidy. They're in a tight spot.

This is why the 3R's were an integral part of the ACA....and then Congress screwed that up...

The 3 R's were a political bribe to get the carriers involved. Taxpayer dollars should never have been used for that purpose.

There has been way too much govt involvement in picking winners and losers for the last 10 years or so. If a business can't make it without taxpayer funds it deserves to fail.

Banks, mortgage lenders, auto makers, insurance carriers .......... the list is almost endless

The 3 R's were a political bribe to get the carriers involved. Taxpayer dollars should never have been used for that purpose.

Thats a political statement. You don't believe taxpayer dollars should be used. Thats fine. But its not a universal truth.

I think they passed the damn law, they should fund it.

My comment about taxpayer dollars to fund or keep afloat private industry was not just about Obamacare. Notice I included other industries.

If you really want to make it political, then Dem's were the only ones that voted this mess. Tax Dem voters to pay for it.

Seems fair to me.

Now, let's be fair. Rubio is SECOND to blame. The crafters of the law created it this way, to get it passed, because the CBO would have scored it as a costlier law otherwise.

After passage, they wanted to use an extra 2.5 billion dollars of taxpayer money, and Rubio led a fight to make them follow the law as it was written.

So, Rubio is to blame for stopping it. The ACA promoters are to blame for creating the law like this in the first place.

----------

And insurance companies are to blame for:
1. Believing the government
2. Not being capable of analyzing risk (hello....)
3. Not reading the law well enough to know the money had to come from themselves in the way of profit, and there would not be any.

Back