BCBSAZ is OUT of the Market in Phoenix

I'm trying not to laugh............trying...........trying...........:D:D:D:D:D:D

Cigna: Sole carrier in Maricopa only
Health Net: Pima only, competing with BCBSAZ
Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona: Sole carrier in all remaining Arizona counties, except Pima, where it competes with HealthNet, and Pinal, which has no insurer slated to provide QHPs in 2017

So, Phoenix, a metro area of 4.5 million people, has Cigna clinics (where the doctors are employed by Cigna and work at the clinics). No other choices for Individual/Family ACA plans.

That means:

Phoenix - Cigna clinic style HMO only.

Absolutely no carriers OFF exchange in the entire state.

Blue Cross is serving the rural areas at 54% rate increase.

Tucson (Pima County) actually has Blue Cross & Health Net.

Pinal County (suburb of Phoenix) has no carriers.

Is it okay to say "implosion" yet?

So, Phoenix, a metro area of 4.5 million people, has Cigna clinics (where the doctors are employed by Cigna and work at the clinics). No other choices for Individual/Family ACA plans.

That means:

Phoenix - Cigna clinic style HMO only.

Absolutely no carriers OFF exchange in the entire state.

Blue Cross is serving the rural areas at 54% rate increase.

Tucson (Pima County) actually has Blue Cross & Health Net.

Pinal County (suburb of Phoenix) has no carriers.

Is it okay to say "implosion" yet?

Arizona doesnt count :D :err: :goofy:

How much commission are they likely to pay?

0%?

Double that?

Triple that?

Make it up in volume?

Everyone just lost their PCP.

No child in Phoenix on ACA will have Phx Children's Hospital in Network.

Closest hospital for those in Scottsdale could be 15+ miles away (while driving past 3 other non network hospitals on the way)

It also means $0 premium bronze plans for some for the first time here.

I project:

1. Cigna comes back and doubles/triples their 19% rate increase.
2. BCBS AZ comes back into Maricopa and Pinal with 80% increases, because they are the civic hero, or the DOI twisted hard enough.

Would BCBSAZ even come back with an 80% rate increase? They started with 65% a few months ago (before they exited). That was with plan designs that they thought would not be attractive, and competition that they thought would take the bulk of the cases.

They said in a meeting that they could not charge enough to make up the losses they have already incurred, and they see nothing but red in the future. If they wind up taking 100% of the ACA cases, they take 100% of the loss ratio. I just can't imagine they would come back, even at 80% rate increase.

Would BCBSAZ even come back with an 80% rate increase? They started with 65% a few months ago (before they exited). That was with plan designs that they thought would not be attractive, and competition that they thought would take the bulk of the cases.

They said in a meeting that they could not charge enough to make up the losses they have already incurred, and they see nothing but red in the future. If they wind up taking 100% of the ACA cases, they take 100% of the loss ratio. I just can't imagine they would come back, even at 80% rate increase.

I can see it happening. They are playing the long game and are in prime position to be the player within the single carrier system we are headed towards.

Id bet they arent even speaking to the AZ DOI. They are speaking to HHS and the Hill. They are strong arming subsidies and guaranteeing payments if they do swoop in to save the day. AZ is just he first domino to fall. Give it another year and it will be BCBS for all.

Guess every hospital is going to have to have their own charity telethons and then there's that GoFundMe thing.

Last edited:
Clueless McCain should resign before he gets beat by a Democrat, and BCBSAZ should have its license withdrawn for its own incompetence.

Back