BCBSAZ is OUT of the Market in Phoenix

It's even worse than that Ann.

50 year old man making $40,000 in Pinal county.

Eligible for $80 a month subsidy right now.

with 51% rate BCBSAZ increase and UHC leaving the market same guy eligible for $446 a month in subsidies next year. Assuming BCBSAZ is giving 2 silver options. Which admittedly they might not. I don't sell in AZ, but was curious so did the math (someone check my numbers) If they only offer the cheaper silver, subsidy is still going up $317.97. That is nearly a 400% subsidy increase.

How long can the taxpayers absorb this??

Yup, exactly right. For APTC clients, even though price is going up 50%, their price will drop a LOT next year due to this huge increase in tax credits.

Those at 401% + are screwed.

The 400% cliff just became an earthquake fault line.

It's even worse than that Ann.

50 year old man making $40,000 in Pinal county.

Eligible for $80 a month subsidy right now.

with 51% rate BCBSAZ increase and UHC leaving the market same guy eligible for $446 a month in subsidies next year. Assuming BCBSAZ is giving 2 silver options. Which admittedly they might not. I don't sell in AZ, but was curious so did the math (someone check my numbers) If they only offer the cheaper silver, subsidy is still going up $317.97. That is nearly a 400% subsidy increase.

How long can the taxpayers absorb this??

But... But... But... like CMS is touting, the rate hikes are irrelevant because the subsidied customer won't pay them. So, it's invisible. It's pretend money. The govt can just print more.

:1err:

I have a retired executive client who arguably could pay out of pocket to go out of state for healthcare, and pay for it. The Humana PPO was a great option until turning 65 in a few years. I have already been asked what are we going to do next year on this situation. I am not sure!
Unless there is a POS plan still available in 2017, that is the deal. The insurance will probably be a better option than none.
It's the ones not too far over 400% who will be in deep pain, as Ann and others have pointed out.

Just a random thought.
Cigna in AZ didn't offer a CAT plan last year. Nor this coming year.
What does that mean?

Kid policies just escalated:

10 yr old this yr with Phx Health Cat plan = $42/mo
Cheapest Cigna bronze next year = $163/mo = 288% increase.

29 yr old = $74/mo at PHP , $290/mo next year minimum bronze = 290% increase

That's one way to get young health people in the pool.
Should have mandated a CAT offering too...........fools.

Last edited:
I have a retired executive client who arguably could pay out of pocket to go out of state for healthcare, and pay for it. The Humana PPO was a great option until turning 65 in a few years. I have already been asked what are we going to do next year on this situation. I am not sure!
Unless there is a POS plan still available in 2017, that is the deal. The insurance will probably be a better option than none.
It's the ones not too far over 400% who will be in deep pain, as Ann and others have pointed out.

I am moving my Humana PPO people to 2 person groups. Price is almost identical.

Its the widows and orphans, who don't have 2 adults on the plan that are keeping me up at night.

Just a random thought.
Cigna in AZ didn't offer a CAT plan last year. Nor this coming year.
What does that mean?

Kid policies just escalated:

10 yr old this yr with Phx Health Cat plan = $42/mo
Cheapest Cigna bronze next year = $163/mo = 288% increase.

29 yr old = $74/mo at PHP , $290/mo next year minimum bronze = 290% increase

That's one way to get young health people in the pool.
Should have mandated a CAT offering too...........fools.

This is outrageous.

The face of Obamacare in Phoenix displayed in 1 map. Say hello to your new nameless PCP Dr.

Attachments

• CMG Center Map.pdf
    393 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
The disgusting collapse continues.
Brilliant move. Avoid 80% of the losses, and still be the hero that saves rural AZ.
Plus, being the only carrier in rural AZ, they can control how much the gov't pays (umm...taxpayer)
And, those folks in Scottsdale may have no close hospitals in network without Honor Health participating in any marketplace plan.
Ooops.

Sidenote: Health Net AZ also just pulled their PPO from off marketplace. The last remaining PPO holdout in AZ is now gone.

Honor Health owns 6 hospitals here in Arizona so how were they able to participate on the exchange?

Honor Health owns 6 hospitals here in Arizona so how were they able to participate on the exchange?

I assume you would have Honor sign a contract with Cigna.
Doubt it will happen given Cigna's HMO medical clinic model, who outsources to a Banner ACO type model. (Accountable Care Org)

This year, they were in the Humana PPO, health net PPO, and the BCBS AZ Alliance network. All pulled out for 2017. Only BCBS was ON the Marketplace in 2016

Back