BE AWARE: AllKids Medicaid in Illinois.

AllenChicago

Guru
5000 Post Club
Friday, December 20, 2013

This is Information gleaned from talking to various government offices, hospitals, navigators and insurers this past week:

Illinois has cast a VERY big net to get as many enrolled in All-Kids, and/or Medicaid, as possible. We already know that as of 2014, adults can enroll in Medicaid if their income is up to 133% of the Federal Poverty Level. (FPL)

What I didn't know is that families who earn up to 313% of the FPL are eligible for their Children under age 19 to be on AllKids Medicaid.

In fact, if a 133% to 313% FPL family with children under age 19 wants to apply for a federally subsidized plan on the Marketplace, the children will be sent automatically to All-Kids Medicaid.

Example: Family of 4 in Illinois earns between $2,790 and $6,200 per month and buys a subsidized plan on the Federally Facilitated Exchange, the children (18 and under) will be placed on All-kids Medicaid...or even worse, told that they are not qualified for Allkids, and must visit one of the free community health centers created by the Affordable Care act.

Had one this past week where 1 child was sentenced to Allkids and the other was told to visit one of the new "Affordable Care Act Health Centers" if he needed medical care. These medical centers must be the portable units that are set up in football stadiums before the games and in various mall parking lots, because I've never read about any permanent ones being constructed in the Chicago area.

This page contains documents that show the Medicaid Eligibility Income levels: Medicaid and CHIP Eligibility Levels | Medicaid.gov

This page illustrates the income ranges for All-Kids Medicaid in Illinois:
All Kids Income Standards & Cost Sharing Chart

One viable alternative to having the children put on All-Kids is for each of them to buy an individual health plan. However, due the new 4 age-band limit mandated by ObamaCare, children under age 18 average $140 per month each. (Used to be $40 to $60 for child-only policies)

Footnote: This law is so complicated that not one Allkids, Exhange, Insurance Co., or Hospital official understood how this works. It was only by getting input from each of them that I was able to put the total picture together. There will be some VERY angry Illinois citizens next year...for a myriad number of reasons.
ac

Thursday December 26, 2013

BCBS-IL Customer Service "strongly believes" that after the 2014 health policy goes live, affected customers can call into the company and verbally add the child/children that Healthcare.gov stripped from the parent(s) application.

I would like to hear this in a more official manner, but it makes sense that adding children to an existing plan would be allowed, as it always has been. If true, this would/should apply nationally to all carriers.
ac

Received definitive word today from BCBS-IL that due to Illinois expanding Medicaid-KidCare to 300% of poverty, the company can not add children in these under 300% families to the newly acquired family policy if there are Advance Premium Tax Credits involved.

Furthermore, if stand-alone policies are purchased for the child(ren), each child must have the $42 or $64 per month dental add on.

Monday, February 3, 2014

I think somebody with influence raised holy hell about Children being automatically sent to All-Kids. Did a family of four today ($54,000 MAGI) and all 4 were found eligible for Marketplace coverage, and full subsidy-eligible.

Maybe I just got lucky, or HOPEFULLY a permanent change has been made to treat these families with more dignity and respect. It's too bad that Illinois officials didn't understand the problem. So it's probably not worth the effort to try and find out if they've implemented a solution.

It could have been some high-level bureaucrat at CMS who has straightened out this mess. There have been several investigations in other states, due to outraged parents writing letters to their elected officials. Who knows.. maybe the same thing has happened here in Illinois as well. Our state communicates very little...except when it wants something.

Anyway, if anyone else is able to get an entire family on a subsidized plan and the family income is under 300% of the FPL, please post it here. I don't want to declare that the emergency has passed without more examples of success. Thanks in advance.
-Allen

I had a client whose kids qualified for CHIPS (Texas version of AllKids), while he and his wife got a subsidy. He was adamant that his kids would not be on CHIPS. So we put him and his wife on a BCBS policy through the exchange, utilizing the subsidy. Then each child got their own policy, direct from BCBS, with the dental.

Still saved them $300 from the pre-ACA plan.

AKA....I don't think they can do it. If you qualify for CHIPS/Allkids and you are working through the exchange, you go on it. You can't use the subsidy for the kids, if you are CHIPS eligible.

I had a client whose kids qualified for CHIPS (Texas version of AllKids), while he and his wife got a subsidy. He was adamant that his kids would not be on CHIPS. So we put him and his wife on a BCBS policy through the exchange, utilizing the subsidy. Then each child got their own policy, direct from BCBS, with the dental.

Still saved them $300 from the pre-ACA plan.

AKA....I don't think they can do it. If you qualify for CHIPS/Allkids and you are working through the exchange, you go on it. You can't use the subsidy for the kids, if you are CHIPS eligible.

I had heard rumors that Illinois was working to fix the problem of children being assigned to ALL-KIDS, but had no inkling that this might be true until today. Me and the family held our collective breaths while we waited for the Marketplace determination letter to load. It was all smiles and sighs of relief as we read page 2 and found that parents and children all qualified for the Marketplace!

I don't know if it was a HC.gov guardian angel looking out for this young family, or if the Government has changed it's calculation/assignment routine. But the outcome for this particular family was all good!

Hoping that some other Illinois agents have recently had a good experience like this and will share it in this thread. It would be very reassuring to hear it from others.

November 10, 2014

After running some 2015 simulations at HealthCare.gov it seems that Healthcare.gov has resumed, and even increased it's zeal for punishing Illinois children by sentencing them to Medicaid/CHIP.

A family of four in N.E. Illinois who projects their MAGIncome at less than $75,500 will have their children disallowed from being on the family health policy.

In addition to the children not being allowed on the family plan, the Advanced Premium Tax Credit (Subsidy) dollar amount will be reduced to $0 for the parents, if the family income is over $64,000.

-ac

I think your income has to be above 260% FPL for kids to stay on parent's subsidized plan. In case of a pregnant woman her income has to be somewhere above 210% not to be pushed into Medicaid.
On the other hand the pregnancy question is optional on hc.gov so you are not required to answer it. However if you don't answer it hc.gov will default it to "no" in the section summary. I'm wondering if it may cause problems. On one hand you're not required to answer the question but on the other you proceed the application with the defaulted answer as "no".
What do you think?

Why not just be honest about the pregnancy question, Pancur? Doing otherwise might come back to bite the client (and us) in some undesirable way.

Is $75,000 260% of FPL for a family of 4? I'll have to check that out. Thanks!
allen

Back