Being an added driver

Well I paid the $11 for the MVR report. There was a 1 year, 10 year or full history, so I picked full history. There wasn’t a 5 year history. Anyways, both DUI’s are listed September 2012 and June 2014. I don’t know what that means for insurance purposes though. Also an accident 2012 and in 1992. So I guess if an insurance company runs the same report I just did, it’s going to show two DUI’s. Apparently DUI stays on a record for 10 years.

I think you will be good to go for auto insurance as the most recent was just over 5 yrs. I am sure the 10 year or full history is used for employment or background check purposes, not auto insurance

Now, for life insurance the 2 DUIs could be an issue for a decline or a surcharge.

Well I paid the $11 for the MVR report. There was a 1 year, 10 year or full history, so I picked full history. There wasn’t a 5 year history. Anyways, both DUI’s are listed September 2012 and June 2014. I don’t know what that means for insurance purposes though. Also an accident 2012 and in 1992. So I guess if an insurance company runs the same report I just did, it’s going to show two DUI’s. Apparently DUI stays on a record for 10 years.

See if your parents' insurance company will write you a separate policy on your own. Use their car as a sample just for quoting purposes.

I’ll let you know how everything turns out as this all plays out. Thank you for all of your advice. Seriously, very nice of you.

01FE1294-406F-4F0F-B598-DB66B5BCBE81.png I didn’t ask my folks’ insurance company to give me a separate quote for my own insurance because I worry they will run my record and then my DUI’s will show up.

But I was fooling around on Geico and got far enough on a quote that the topic of incidents came up. It actually asked if I had DUI’s in the last “10” years.

Just wondering what you thought?

They are only asking about 10 yrs because GEICO offers auto insurance in likely all 50 states. Them asking doesn't mean it will impact rates in your state. Most states are 3-5 yrs, I think California might be 10 yrs. Check out your state. I am sure your state insurance dept website will state how long a DUI can be surcharged for

Newly licensed agent here, I have a question in regards to this fellas situation. Do all insurance carriers/agencies go back 5 years, or do some just do 3. Reason I ask is I have a prospect that is insistent that some companies only look 3 years in thepast. I didn't argue with him, because I truthfully told him I didnt know. I know that my carrier goes back 5 years, but I couldnt answer for the others. He was so hung up on the fact that we go back 5 years and not 3 that he wasnt willing to sign up for a policy that saved him $180bucks a month. Mindblown @ this point.

Newly licensed agent here, I have a question in regards to this fellas situation. Do all insurance carriers/agencies go back 5 years, or do some just do 3. Reason I ask is I have a prospect that is insistent that some companies only look 3 years in thepast. I didn't argue with him, because I truthfully told him I didnt know. I know that my carrier goes back 5 years, but I couldnt answer for the others. He was so hung up on the fact that we go back 5 years and not 3 that he wasnt willing to sign up for a policy that saved him $180bucks a month. Mindblown @ this point.
he likely is confusing "looking back 5 years" with "everyday infractions count for 3 years". If a carrier runs a report looking back 20 years, but only counts a 10 over speeding ticket for 3 years, what does it matter.

your carrier is likely looking back 5 years. they likely count minor speeding tickets for 2 years, accidents/at fault claims for 3 years & more serious issues like DUI/Reckless/Fleeing, etc for 5 years

Might also depending on the state you are in or he resides in as to what is allowed

Back