Best Router?

Run new cable.

You can get a few feet of ethernet, plug one into the modem, the other end into your computer and see if that works. Keep it for a few days. If that works but going back to the existing cable you can guess the problem is an existing bad cable.

I think Google Mesh is the easiest to set up and most reliable no-drama router there is available. I put one in each side of my house and one in my detached garage. I can carry my laptop to any room in my three story house and out across my driveway to the back side of my pool while maintaining a strong consistant connection.

I especially would love a company that has customer service reps you can at least understand them speaking

Are you sure it's your router? My experience, I have had 4. All seemed about the same. Although one did go bad. Currently have netgear nighthawk ac1750. Before that, asus ac1900. Before that had $35 one off Amazon.

Comcast had an issue on their end. If it's your internet provider....

If you're willing to spend $300/$400 dollars...

Maybe $50 router & pay $50 to high schooler to set it up.

What you already have probably will work.

You have a modem & router or combination? Sometimes the modem goes bad. Comcast discontinued service to an older modem & took me long time to figure out.

Two devices having connection issues?
As someone mentioned, Could test by doing an ethernet cable between your modem & computer (laptop/desktop). If that does not give a stable connection could be the wire running into your house provided by your internet provider (I've had this multiple times!)

Test your computer by using your cell phone as a Hotspot. Stable connection =not your computer.

You're probably an insurance guru. Not a wifi guru. Spend the money to have someone give you a hand vs. Spending money on expensive modem/router. Gl

Yesterday I spend an hour on the phone with spectrum and the guy said he ran diagnostics and show their modem is working perfectly no connectivity issues and the only issue could be is the router

At the time I really thought it had to be the modem But he argued there is no way his diagnostics would not show If it was even minutely possible I did argue a while But he would not budge

Intermittent problems are a beast.

Guessing it's cable coming into the house. Intermittent It's gonna diagnose ok when they are checking it. Or check the cables are tight that run to house & splitters I've had those go bad too/not tight.

True story spent so much time with comcast 10 years ago them telling me it wasn't on their end that i changed my cell phone plan. Ended up they never hooked my wire up at the pole. But definitely wasn't on their end (sarcasm).

Can you switch from spectrum to comcast/nother provider sometimes you can get them to upgrade/change cat 5/cat 6 or whatever it is coming in. & the guy coming out for the new install would be your expert [/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Ok after more thought :

1. Change ether net cable (depending on length something like this)

Amazon product ASIN B018TSRGU6
2. Change wifi dongle (did you reuse your wifi dongle from last computer?) only your computer is disconnecting? Not other devices? Dongle sticks out a little bit but I've had good luck.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00JDVRCI0?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

3. Check the spectrum wires coming into house see if connection might get water/loose

4. Make sure modem is on spectrum accepted list

I would try concurrently.

Then switch providers or tell spectrum to come out & check it cause an intermittent isn't gonna show up for some tech if not happening exactly when he's checking it.

I've built probably 10 home computers & 7 crypto Currency mining computers with 38 graphics cards. But intermittent still a beast.

Back