Best way to ask for professional referrals?

I have several friends/acquaintances who are realtors and one who is a mortgage broker. What would be the best way to go about asking them to refers me to their clients for mortgage protection?

The number one best way to ask another professional for referrals is to ask them who are the ideal people to refer to them.

The realtor for instance has an ideal customer. They probably do best with houses in a certain price range. Certain areas of town. People currently in a house? Or an apartment? Show interest in learning who they most want as referrals from you.

Then teach them who you would like as referrals from them. Then make it rain for them.

The number one best way to ask another professional for referrals is to ask them who are the ideal people to refer to them..

That sounds like real world experience. If you actually work this job, you will have professionals as clients, and they will refer people to you.

I have gotten referrals from realtors, but they were usually "well off". The average paycheck type real estate agent is going to want to hang on to their clients, in case they start selling insurance themselves. However, they do make good clients, since most have no work related benefits.

Doctor's offices are a rich source of leads for Health/Medicare, either by having the Doctor as a life/health client, or the nurses/patients passing your name around a practice. It does take a little time, unless you get lucky.

That sounds like real world experience. If you actually work this job, you will have professionals as clients, and they will refer people to you.

I have gotten referrals from realtors, but they were usually "well off". The average paycheck type real estate agent is going to want to hang on to their clients, in case they start selling insurance themselves. However, they do make good clients, since most have no work related benefits.

Doctor's offices are a rich source of leads for Health/Medicare, either by having the Doctor as a life/health client, or the nurses/patients passing your name around a practice. It does take a little time, unless you get lucky.

Yes and hospitals. Every hospital has a person in charge of marketing. It seems too obvious but most agents never approach them to see if you can be one of their speakers on the topic of Medicare insurance. I was the Medicare guy for the largest hospital in southern Indiana for 7-years. All it involved was speaking once per month at their auditorium and giving Medicare 101 educational seminars. They would pack the room some months. Other months they may only have 10 people.

Once I started doing that I had other smaller hospitals reach out to me and ask “How do we get a guy like you to do that?” And I thought “ Why are agents not approaching hospitals? They will line up around the block to speak to impoverished people in high rise buildings but not approach hospitals?”

Here is another real world tid-bit. Young CPA’s. My wife is a CPA. (Well she was before I convinced her to leave accounting and manage our local Medicare Insurance office.) so I travel with her sometimes to the CPA conventions. (If you like fun and excitement, don’t go to a CPA convention. )

But every young CPA has the same goal and the same problem. They want to make partner at their firm (I guess this is like the captive world with CPA’s). But to do that they need to bring in accounts (new customers.) And they are afraid of their own shadow. When I explain to them how to cold walk businesses you would think I’m telling them to do the most scary thing they have ever heard of.

If you are the type of agent that deals with business owners and/or has influence with business owners, you have a huge IN with CPAs. Connect with a good young one and you two can be great Referal sources with each other. Help him get to where he wants and he refers people to you that you want.

Also CPAs know NOTHING about Medicare. Zero. But they get asked about it often. So become the guy that does educational speaking for them. They are always looking for experts to speak at their monthly meetings.

There are a lot of ways to network and build referal relationships in this biz.

I have several friends/acquaintances who are realtors and one who is a mortgage broker. What would be the best way to go about asking them to refers me to their clients for mortgage protection?
You could join the world's largest referral organization, BNI. You'll be the only life insurance agent in your chapter. They will already have realtors and lenders.
https://www.bni.com/find-a-chapter

Back