Best Way to Market Medicare Supplements? I need help!

Using that same logic, a plan A would suffice for a senior. The main problem (the 20% coinsurance) is taken care of. Unless they go to the hospital every year.

Plan A is not all that bad a choice for a senior who has the money to pay the Medicare Part A deductible. I have recommended and sold a fair number of them to wealthier clients who understand they are assuming the cost. The key to doing that is making sure they understand. Sometimes seniors have selective memory.

The other main thing to be aware of is that Medicare covers the first 20 days in a Skilled Nursing Facility. They would also be responsible for the 21st to the 100 day. However, it is seldom that they will be there for more than 20 days. It is a good idea to explain that also because on rare occasions they may be there longer than 20 days. (I have had several clients break a hip and rehab and I can't think of one who was in for more than 20 days. Medicare doesn't usually authorize it for longer than that.)

You have to weigh the difference in cost between an A and say a D. On average if they don't go to the hospital for three years the difference in premium will generally save them some money.

For someone who is on a tight budget and you know will not be able to write a check for $1,100 (This years Part A deductible) Plan A may not be the best way to go.

Back