Breaking Into The Biz

I'd like to start off by saying that this forum has been quite helpful to me prior to my even posting an introduction, and would like to thank those that continually post honest and informative content on this forum.

I am a career chef, that has recently made the decision to leave the foodservice industry. I have a young family, and foodservice has not allowed me to spend the kind of time them that they deserve. Don't get me wrong, I'm very willing to work hard, even "long hours", but I'm coming off an Executive Chef position in which I worked 85-115 hours/week, nights, holidays, and weekends in particular. After several months of research and discussions with my wife, I left my $80K/year position to pursue insurance sales.

I took a full-time job selling cable services, which I start Monday. Tomorrow, I take my life insurance exam, for which I am well prepared. I've also started marketing my own HVAC services in my community, and have generated a nice supplemental income. So, I'm in a pretty decent place to begin my journey into the world of being an insurance producer, without risking my families need for food/shelter/water/etc.

I still, however, am undecided on where to start. I have had a few conversations with MLM's, and have no interest in that concept. I have considered working as a captive agent to learn some technique, though this would require me to drop my sales position, and disable me to begin selling part-time on my own. So, I'm really leaning towards getting an IMO, and beginning independent sales on a part time basis. I'm sitting on a relatively low budget, though I am employed, so I do have capital to purchase leads/market my services/ etc.

Where I'm really stuck is deciding which type of products to begin with. Many on this forum suggest that FE is a great place to start. Being in a community made up of a high percentage of 50-75 y/o's, this certainly would seem to be a good fit for me. There also seems to be some very good IMO's for FE participating in this forum.

What do you think? Any other areas that might be a good place to start with a moderate budget?

Any suggestions of any kind will be appreciated.

chefadamo

Sounds like you are moving in the right direction, while some on here claim the fe forum is just one big "animal house", I can say it will serve you well. Feel free to visit my site with agency and agent interviews, it will help you learn things you have not even thought about yet:

Agent Audio Interviews | Final Expense Leads and Agent Training

Good luck!!

Sounds like you are moving in the right direction, while some on here claim the fe forum is just one big "animal house", I can say it will serve you well. Feel free to visit my site with agency and agent interviews, it will help you learn things you have not even thought about yet:

Good luck!!

I'm new to this forum and if all things go as planned I will start selling just after New Years. This past weekend I listened to all of the agent interviews on your site and they were awesome...thanks for such a great resource!!

Back