Breaking News - Role of Agents, Brokers, and Web - Brokers in Health Insurance Marketplaces

I know, but I can't share. It's just enough to allow me to actually consult people about this enormously confusing law, and still feed my family

I too am looking for an answer to this question. I am thinking that if a consumer can get a quote and interface with the exchange and apply through your site you are a "webroker". Quotit tells me their clients will be web-brokers.

I too am looking for an answer to this question. I am thinking that if a consumer can get a quote and interface with the exchange and apply through your site you are a "webroker". Quotit tells me their clients will be web-brokers.

I think there is a fine line between web broker and an agent with a web site. To my knowledge, eHealthinsurance doesn't set up face to face meetings like many of us do. They are exclusively web based. Also, I don't have my own quoting software as I am using a third party (Norvax). Of course the government could poo poo on all of us independent contractors and hit us with a big swift kick to the jewels and make us follow the web broker rules and essentially drive more of us away. I would hope the carriers would do something to stand up for us as we will be essential to their customers in getting enrollments. Navigators will only scratch the surface and even with that they will primarily be helping a population segment that the carriers aren't going to be going after anyway. If Uncle Obama makes this any harder, the carriers are going to be up a creek while us agents are helping the Life companies make millions.

I agree. I do not want to appoint with all the carriers,Now I have the "Big Boys" we all know who they are. My concern is if some regional type co-op comes in and low balls rates (and commissions) consumers will flock to this probably short lived carrier. Everybody loses in this scenario

I agree. I do not want to appoint with all the carriers,Now I have the "Big Boys" we all know who they are. My concern is if some regional type co-op comes in and low balls rates (and commissions) consumers will flock to this probably short lived carrier. Everybody loses in this scenario

I am afraid it is more likely than not. I did just go back and reread the article and I have to agree, even little me would be considered a web broker and have to follow those rules. I am going to decide if it is even reasonable to do online quoting. One problem with your above scenario is that if someone who is uneducated about health insurance (99% of the population) comes to your site and chooses the lowest priced plan that you aren't contracted with and they later decide that it is the wrong plan for them, are you going to be held liable since they technically went through you?

Subsidized clients will pay an actual % of income, whether they buy a low priced carrier or not. So, if given the choice to buy a big boy or a little boy at the same price, they will pick the big brand name.

This changes if they upgrade/downgrade from the silver plan level, in which prices of plans will matter since they take the specific subsidy amount to apply to that new plan price.

Subsidized clients will pay an actual % of income, whether they buy a low priced carrier or not. So, if given the choice to buy a big boy or a little boy at the same price, they will pick the big brand name.

This changes if they upgrade/downgrade from the silver plan level, in which prices of plans will matter since they take the specific subsidy amount to apply to that new plan price.

Valuable your wisdom is, Jedi.

Back