Breaking Up (is hard to do)

somarco

GA Medicare Expert
5000 Post Club
Atlanta
How do you cut your losses with a prospect but still leave the door open?

Or do you just slam it in their face?

When it becomes obvious they are not going to pull the trigger, how do you handle the situation?

Somarco,

Why slam the door,If they like you and wont or cant buy, work em for thier referals till you get paid!! know what i'm sayin . You have already put your time in>
Regards,
Steve B

I don't slam the door, but some folks do. I probably milk a lead longer than most and eventually it pays off, most of the time. I get referrals even from people that did not buy.

My closing line is something like this.

"It appears you are looking for something that does not exist. But do me a favor. Keep my contact information. When you get tired of looking and are ready to move forward, get back in touch with me. Some of the plans we considered may no longer be available. The rates will almost definitely be higher and there is always the possibility your health will change making it difficult or impossible to get the coverage you need. In the interim, with your permission, I will add you to my newsletter list. If you know someone looking for help with their health insurance needs, please give them my name & number".

If someone has not bought within a month I let them go. On more than one occasion they have come back to me 3, 4, 6 months later. I had one lady track me down from a single email she had saved from a year & half earlier.

I like your method Bob. Here is what I do. First, I try to not take it personally, although it can be hard to "lose" sometimes. I do leave the door open like you by asking for permission to add them to my mailing list. Another approach that has worked well is to periodically check in with the person via phone. I have done this from the beginning and like to check in at 3, 6, 9 and 12 month intervals.

I use Act to keep track of all of my prospective and current clients so all I have to do is set up a reminder to touch base and "see how things are going." I like to use the previous conversation and the e-mails as an intro.

All good points. I try to send an email at 3 and 10 month intervels.

But I have always wondered...Assuming prspect tells me he is not interested on June 1. I send a general email around Sept. 1 and another around May 1. Isn't there a risk that this person is now (or was) on the do not call list. Or is an email exempt from that?

Small business owners are exempt "right now" from the DNC call. I'd have to check the terminology but I believe a previous business relationship does not impact future calls. I would check up on it just to be safe if you target non small business owners.

Besides, if they do decide to sue you for breaching the DNC list, turn it around and sue them for mental anguish ;)

I usually ask if they'd allow me to add their e-mail to my newsletter distribution, promise not to send things too often and suggest that they may want to contact me at a later date. Most say yes.

DNC and UCE are different animals.

You can continue to call someone with whom you have a business relationship for up to 6 months (or is it 12?).

UCE can be dealt with by giving those receiving your email the ability to opt-out.

Good news and bad news........

What about an established business relationship?

A telemarketer or seller may call a consumer with whom it has an established business relationship for up to 18 months after the consumer's last purchase, delivery, or payment - even if the consumer's number is on the National Do Not Call Registry. In addition, a company may call a consumer for up to three months after the consumer makes an inquiry or submits an application to the company. And if a consumer has given a company written permission, the company may call even if the consumer's number is on the National Do Not Call Registry.
One caveat: if a consumer asks a company not to call, the company may not call, even if there is an established business relationship. Indeed, a company may not call a consumer - regardless of whether the consumer's number is on the registry - if the consumer has asked to be put on the company's own do not call list. Find it here https://www.donotcall.gov/FAQ/FAQBusiness.aspx

Bob,
I think you're doing the right thing. Most people in the long run are too proud to admit that they can't afford coverage. Also, many are in disbelief that the only thing they can afford is high deductible coverage that won't "...give me anything for my money." Many will keep shopping until someone tells them (falsely) what they want to hear.

Not a good long term client anyway. Your method is fine in my opinion.

Back