Buying a Medicare book of business?

Would I be wrong to say a client wouldn't want to be on mapd if they needed Mayo clinic? I haven't found many Mayo discount cards........just mustard

You act like every person needs or wants Mayo Clinic . That’s like saying 3 % of mapd people hit their moop yearly . Of course those 3% which they had a med sup . What about the 20% of med sup people that have rarely used it ? I bet many of them which they had a mapd to save 10’s of thousands of premium . We can argue this for yrs . What nobody can dispute is that mapd is growing very fast as sup people flee .

Last edited:
You act like every person needs or wants Mayo Clinic . That’s like saying 3 % of mapd people hit their moop yearly . Of course those 3% which they had a med sup . What about the 20% of med sup people that have rarely used it ? I bet many of them which they had a mapd to save 10’s of thousands of premium . We can argue this for yrs . What nobody can dispute is that mapd is growing very fast as sup people flee .

He’s grasping for straws. In 22 years have never had anyone go to Mayo and I’m not that far from one. But it could happen 15 years down the road so better stay on Med Sup.

You act like every person needs or wants Mayo Clinic . That’s like saying 3 % of mapd people hit their moop yearly . Of course those 3% which they had a med sup . What about the 20% of med sup people that have rarely used it ? I bet many of them which they had a mapd to say 10’s of thousands of premium . We can argue this for yrs . What nobody can dispute is that mapd is growing very fast as sup people flee .

His name is Jack, not 3%. He is a person, not a number. Maybe he is best friends father, but that doesn't matter to you, as the % and odds are in his favor.

I lost 2 of 800 clients to mapd thus year (i see no "trend"), but i did get a dozen calls from mapd owners wanting a med supp who were unsinsurable and stuck on mapd. I hate those calls.

I love calls from healthy people complaining about paying premiums and not using it. I ask if they called their home and car agent with the same question? They shut up real quick.

I would say 10 to 15% of my clients use Mayo now. Half of those didn't before age 65. I had about 10 clients this year newly diagnosed with cancer, all using Mayo. They were SO thankful for my initial advice to go with OM. Each time I hear it, it just reinforces my choice to sell med supp only. i slept well that night.

Please tell me you have never had an mapd client call you with newly diagnosed disease and wanting to use Mayo? You're in AZ, it must be about 3%, and was his name Jack?

I bet many of them which they had a mapd to save 10’s of thousands of premium
Might want to hold up on that bet Hoss. It ain't that simple.

I've yet to have a single client call and bitch about the money they spent on a supplement premium. That's because my market understands the concept of insurance and they simply don't get giddy about free toothpaste.

But you mentioned thousands of dollars wasted on supplement premiums. Actually it's not that much.

Have you ever done a cost analysis between the two? Most agents have not. And since I'm old and cranky, I'm not about to do your homework for you.

Here's a video some kid did comparing the two. All I know about this dude is that he knows his stuff.

One common excuse for choosing MAPD is a lot of people are pretty satisfied knowing that the doctors they're using and the systems that they are affiliated with will work with their insurance.

The odd thing about life is this.

As we age, our health changes. Doctors we use today, or at age 65, probably are not the same we will need/use in the future.

My PCP retired a few years ago and I had to find a new one.

When Rachel went on Medicare she had a PCP and a GYN. She kept the PCP but had to change the GYN because that doc did not participate in Medicare. She has also added an orthopedic doc to her provider file, plus a dermatologist, ophthalmologist, surgeon, rheumatologist and cardiologist. This is within the last 5 years.

Never once did she have to check a network before making an appointment with the new doc.

During that time she has had several radiology scans and none required prior authorization. She has had 3 surgeries, no networks to check and no prior authorizations.

All this sounds like she is falling apart but none were serious or critical (other than cataract surgery). We both felt like the ability to see was important, if not critical, to living a normal life. However, she is getting older (and so am I).

All totaled she has had around $60,000 in medical bills with a total out of pocket around $1,000.

I know we are pretty much the norm, not the exception.

However I find it incredulous that agents who claim to have thousands of satisfied MAPD clients who never have problems with their limited access plans.

Last edited:
Back