Buying Across State Lines

This has been discussed before, but think about it - if you open things up across state lines, all of the state level government people employed by the DOI may not have jobs in the end if "buying across state lines" somehow involved federal guidelines for rate activity, etc. No one has ever really fleshed out the particulars regarding "buying across state lines" and what it might entail. . . .

Some health insurers offered "Multi-state" plans on the exchange, but I could never figure out what the multi-state angle was. They Use the same PPO network as the non-multistate plans. If you move to another state, you have to let the plan go because the medical providers in your new state won't honor the plan's PPO network.

Another empty promise of Obamascrew.

Multi state plans were designed to have the same benefits across state lines. Live in NC and have this plan, then move to CA with this plan; benefits are the same. Our blue carrier had them, but said that it would likely rarely be used.

Some health insurers offered "Multi-state" plans on the exchange, but I could never figure out what the multi-state angle was. They Use the same PPO network as the non-multistate plans. If you move to another state, you have to let the plan go because the medical providers in your new state won't honor the plan's PPO network.

Another empty promise of Obamascrew.

Yes, I still can't figure that one out either, unless it was some way to cut down on plan design costs or something. I was glad I didn't sell a bunch of that to anyone who was hoping to have in network benefits for non-emergency out of state care with BCBS national network providers.

The only plan with any slight benefit for national network is the BCBS POS plan, where non-emergency in National Blue Card Network is treated as out of network for cost sharing, deductible/coinsurance/MOOP, but, no balance billing is the consolation prize. Billed the higher out of pocket, but at network negotiated rates.

I believe the multi state plans were geared for those living on the border of a state, to allow them to cross the state line to get care in nearest out of state city

ACA Multi-state plans were set up by the Office of Personnel Management (OPM), but the FAQ mentions nothing about what makes a Multi-state plan special.

FAQ: https://www.opm.gov/healthcare-insurance/multi-state-plan-program/consumer/#url=FAQs

In 2015, only 2 carriers in our state (BCBS and LOLH) had Multi-state plans. For 2016, only Blue Cross has them. But they now use the same weakened Illinois-only PPO networks as Blue Cross's non-multistate plans.

Last year (2015), the Blue Cross of Illinois Multi-state plans included tons of out-of-state providers as in-network. I had a client move to Dallas She did not need to change from BCBS-IL to BCBS-TX. She kept her BCBS-IL plan, and had +90% of Texas medical providers as "in-network".

Not so for 2016 however. Her BCBS-IL multi-state PPO plan auto-renewed, but every medical provider in the state of Texas suddenly became out-of-network. She cancelled her MSP, and this (former) client is now on her college's group plan.

Back