CA PCIP Startling Article

sdmillar

Expert
I do not do health in California, but this article was forwarded on to me by someone that thinks this is good news. My take from it is that they WAY underestimated the costs per recipient and even though they now project only 6800 people will be in the program as opposed to the originally thought 28,000 the program still needs an additional 50% in federal funds to go forward. My math is $347 million per year covering 6,800 recipients equals over $51,000 per recipient. How long before we are REALLY broke at that rate?

Article: PCIP Program Gets Last-Minute Funding

This surprises you?
I would have thought the 51k # would have been higher.
Lets see.... You can wait until you need surgery.
Then apply for a plan that covers your pre x immediately.
Can you say "Adverse selection"?

This surprises you?
I would have thought the 51k # would have been higher.
Lets see.... You can wait until you need surgery.
Then apply for a plan that covers your pre x immediately.
Can you say "Adverse selection"?

Yes, I did it. I was able to adverse selection!

What do I win? How about some free insurance from Comrade Obama.

Rick

Next to my gym there is a taco wagon. It has been there for years. I know the owner.
He knows I sell health ins.
Late last summer he tells me he needs a knee replacement.
He asks me what he should do?
I tell him about PCIP.
His daughter gets him enrolled for 9.01.11.
He has the surgery done in Sept and only pays the Sept premium. Cx'd 9.30.11.
I now get free burritos

Next to my gym there is a taco wagon. It has been there for years. I know the owner.
I tell him about PCIP.
I now get free burritos

If your tax dollars are supporting PCIP are your taco's really free?

I tell him about PCIP.
I now get free burritos

He gamed the system. It's free-enterprise and unbridled capitalism at its best. He did nothing illegal. I'll bet most of you would do the same if in his position.

And yet most of you health agents are against mandatory insurance.

Well, of course you are. For the most part the only thing health agents brought to the table was to explain an overly complex system that they favored because the system was a make-work "job" for them.

Health agents moaning about their loss of their six-figure comp sounds like accountants and lawyers and some financial planners who are always against any kind of tax simplification. If you can pay your taxes on the back of a post card who needs a tax CPA or tax lawyer?

Did any of you ever here the labor-term of "featherbedding?" That's basically what you want.

I have an idea. Let's junk health care reform and just go back to the way it was before the passage of the law. I'm sure that's what most people want. Healthy and wealthy people can get insurance and sick non-wealthy people can't. It's a great system. The carriers are able to pay their execs seven-figure salaries and most of you agents get to earn six figures.

C'mon man!

Guy, guys, guys... we're going to have single-payor first and nationalized care second. There is no other way to control the cost of medical care and the premiums needed to pay it. You know it, I know it, the Supreme Court knows it (and yes they do read the election returns) and everyone's dog knows it.

Rant and rave, whine and moan... but every other developed country has it (for better or worse) and we're going to get it too. Get over it.

Al
My website is here.

Last edited by a moderator:
I tell him about PCIP.
I now get free burritos

that is the funniest thing I've heard in a long while. how may burritos till the knee bill is paid in full? :twitchy:

Back