California Mudslides

hope the fire is not due to a flood.

LOL

Sure seems that way. More twists and turns than an Agatha Christie mystery.

number of homes that magically catch fire after a flood

What a coincidence . . .

I find it kind of funny that Bob complains about weasel language. This is the same stuff that use to happen in the health insurance market. Certain risks have a higher likelihood and thus cost more, but people don't want to pay the cost for it. So companies have to exclude it from the base policy and then offer it as an endorsement or separate policy.

Back in the days before underwriting was outlawed many of the carriers would issue policies but with specific exclusionary riders. A few would surcharge the premium if you wanted a condition covered and it could be priced fairly. (Maternity was a common one where you could pay extra and get the coverage).

A few carriers would give you a choice of a rider or premium rate-up for the coverage. Most of my clients opted to self insure the additional risk and take the rider.

Health insurance carriers have had a bad rap over denied claims. In almost every situation the claim was legitimately denied and spelled out in the policy.

Which almost no one ever read . . .

I have contributed to a handful of consumer forums where the biggest complaint (following premium rates) was denied claims. Once you get enough information it becomes quite obvious the carrier was correct in denying the claim and the policyholder was clueless about how the policy worked.

It has been a very long time since my college insurance classes. Seems like there are/were 5 or 6 standard HO forms. Some were truly basic, fire is covered if it occurs on a Tuesday and caused by neighbor kid playing with matches to more comprehensive forms.

I don't expect buyers to be aware of the limitations of their HO policies but I would expect a good agent to suggest special lines of coverage if you live in a flood zone where earthquakes, fire and brimstone are potential threats.

As @InsCommentary can tell you, there are a number of basic policy types out there for homeowners. And a policy from Farmers is as good as a policy from Allstate which is as good as a policy from Safeco, until its not. While there are a lot of similarities, there are differences that matter greatly when they do.

And a policy from Farmers is as good as a policy from Allstate which is as good as a policy from Safeco, until its not. While there are a lot of similarities, there are differences that matter greatly when they do.

I see we have advanced from weasel language all the way to doublespeak.

Good job!

As long as consumers value cheap over good, carriers will gladly water down products to meet them

That will never change.

Just one of the reasons why there are a number of crap health insurance (and non-insurance) plans springing up all over the place.

I can see both sides of this, but still hate when the govt tries to adjudicate claims retroactively.

Back