Can A Successful Entrepreneur Open An Insurance Agency?

"The PIP in MI is higher in cost than other States due to the fact that we are the only State that covers Unlimited Medical Expenses and the State Fund that covers costs over $350k has been getting tapped more with the shift from Personal and Group health plans no longer covering auto accidents." (Skipper) -This, I believe, makes carriers apprehensive to expand their channel in MI.

Actually this does not bother carriers at all. The State recognized that this was not competitive after the "NO FAULT" law was established in the late 1970's. Michigan created a Fund called the MI Catastrophic Claims Association where carriers could get relief on claims over $250k, Meaning they no longer would have to price....UNLIMITED and had a fixed number to price the PIP product on.

Each vehicle insured pays into the fund as part of the PIP premium and Currently it is about $170/year. It has been as low as $30/yr as in the late 90's and early 2000's when the fund had a huge surplus and at that time MI was in the top 5 States with the lowest Rates and companies were flocking to this State and expanding.

Actually this system was used by my group to introduce Health Care Reform in 2009 as a successful example on how to use Gov't for Catastrophic Care and the private markets for every day care (High Deductible Mini-Meds with Catastrophic Care and HSA Plans).

We showed that using a $25k Deductible per person and $50k per family and $50k/$100k models would have covered 97% of all claims in 2007 and would have reduced overall costs in the Health Care System. Implementing the plan would have a 1.2% and 0.8% payroll tax, sufficient to cover the catastrophic care. Also, this plan would cover 75% of the current (2009) 33 million uninsured.

Problem was that our plan made sense and was simple and low cost to the consumer and businesses. Something that does not make any sense to a politician..... Oh Well....

Skipper.

I recently met with a master agent under siaa and I'm even more torn. It sounds great but the fees up front and giving up a part of the commission sucks. I understand the full services they provide though. I love selling and meeting new people I just wonder if this is the best way to go to build my wealth for the future as opposed to my other businesses. I guess more research and anymore advice would be greatly appreciated.

For those of you that are independent and doing it for 3+ years, is your income where your happy? Are you glad you chose the insurance path or would you have chosen something different?

Thanks

I recently met with a master agent under siaa and I'm even more torn. It sounds great but the fees up front and giving up a part of the commission sucks. I understand the full services they provide though. I love selling and meeting new people I just wonder if this is the best way to go to build my wealth for the future as opposed to my other businesses. I guess more research and anymore advice would be greatly appreciated.

For those of you that are independent and doing it for 3+ years, is your income where your happy? Are you glad you chose the insurance path or would you have chosen something different?

Thanks

Captive agent/registered rep here, but I have researched opening up shop also. I've always been under the impression you get under something like SIAA for the amount of companies it offers, companies who's underwriting standards vary greatly depending on their core markets. For instance, a company might be competitive for, ugh, boat marinas (for commercial P&C) better than everyone else. So when you start doing really well with boat marinas, and understand the process, you take your book off of SIAA and get directly appointed. Usually at that point if you want to get appointed to other P&C companies, you have to prove you have a book of business, and a brief marketing plan. And best of all you can still enroll in SIAA and have access to hundreds, if not thousands, of companies in case a unique case out of your target market comes across your desk, but you still want the business ;).

I recently met with a master agent under siaa and I'm even more torn. It sounds great but the fees up front and giving up a part of the commission sucks. I understand the full services they provide though. I love selling and meeting new people I just wonder if this is the best way to go to build my wealth for the future as opposed to my other businesses. I guess more research and anymore advice would be greatly appreciated. For those of you that are independent and doing it for 3+ years, is your income where your happy? Are you glad you chose the insurance path or would you have chosen something different? Thanks

Run the other way as fast as you can from SIAA. The fees are crazy. They get you with the membership fee, upfront. They get you ongoing monthly (over 2k a month I pay them) and when you are ready to sell your book, you have to pay them a big chunk. Oh by they way, if you want out of the contract, you owe them big time. It's the worst contract of any of the clusters.

Back