Car insurance. Am I liable?

Corbin

I have a car titled in my name. My girlfriend drives the car and has the car insured in her name. Can I be held liable in the case of an accident? Georgia

There is NO insurance on this vehicle. If there is an accident and it is discovered that she insured a vehicle she has no insurable interest in (she doesn't own the vehicle), there is a better than average chance that the claim will be denied, you are on the hook for the liability to both property and people, and that there is no coverage to repair your vehicle. It is obvious that she called a carrier and placed a vehicle on a policy and they never asked for proof of ownership or the registration.

Yup, you can be held liable as the owner of the car that permitted her to use the vehicle. Also, the insurance company may ask a judge to release them from having to provide legal defense to your girlfriend as I am sure the application she agreed to asked if she owned the car. She must have answered yes because a answer of NO would have caused them to not agree to insure the car in most cases. Without an insurance carrier providing legal defense, you could be personally sued for monetary damages or potentially have future wages garnished to satisfy any judgment

only way this can work out for you/her is if you had somehow been listed as maybe a leaseholder on her policy as if you were leasing the car to her, etc.

I have a car titled in my name. My girlfriend drives the car and has the car insured in her name. Can I be held liable in the case of an accident? Georgia

Yes.

But there are other factors involved.

Do you and your GF live together? Did she buy the policy because your rates would have been much higher.

If the answer to either question is yes, you've committed insurance fraud. In the event of an accident, the policy can be rescinded and coverage denied.

Yes.

Do you and your GF live together? Did she buy the policy because your rates would have been much higher.

If the answer to either question is yes, you've committed insurance fraud. In the event of an accident, the policy can be rescinded and coverage denied.

Yes.

No we do not live together. I currently do have my own insurance on the car but want to know if her insurance would cover the accident or I would be on the hook. She got the insurance through a local progressive company and simply told them she was renting the car from me.

Yes.

No we do not live together. I currently do have my own insurance on the car but want to know if her insurance would cover the accident or I would be on the hook. She got the insurance through a local progressive company and simply told them she was renting the car from me.

The upside is she should be able to get all of her premium back because there is double coverage on the car, or at least as far back as she lied about renting the car. the downside is YOU are liable for any and all affairs as they pertain to YOUR vehicle. You NEED to add your girlfriend to YOUR policy as a driver, not a named insured, if she has regular use of your vehicle.

Back