Car Insurance Coverages and Prices in SF

Jan 21, 2016

  1. benben

    benben New Member

    Likes Received:

    For professional reasons, I'm going to move to San Francisco for 3 months. I come from Europe and I'm not a US citizen. As I will have tens of meetings and appointments across the Valley, I plan to buy a car...and I need a full coverage to lower risks.

    My question is simple: how there specifics for foreign people when subscribing to a car insurance?
    For example, if I choose a full coverage (physical damage, liability, collision) will I be charged additional fee as a foreign worker?

    Any idea of car insurance companies that might be specialized in short-term contracts in the valley?

    Thank you for your help!,
    benben, Jan 21, 2016
  2. djs

    djs Super Moderator Moderator

    Likes Received:
    Most insurance companies in CA will do this type of coverage. Bring a copy of your drivers license, you'll need it.

    The only surcharge you'll get is based on no established driving history. I realize this isn't completely true, but insurance companies here have no way to verify foreign license history. In essence, this will mean you will not qualify for the good driver discount until you have been in the US for at least 18 months, potentially 36.

    Almost all companies here write 6 or 12 month policies, but you can cancel them when you leave and the policy rate is pro-rated based on the term you used it. A few companies have 3 month minimum premium amounts, but that shouldn't be a problem. I would ask when you get the policy if they pro-rate or short-rate on cancellation. Make sure the answer is pro-rate.

    djs, Jan 21, 2016