Car Insurance

What about just leasing a car in the US instead of owning one? I know you have to carry insurance still, but I would guess they make allowances for stuff like this with leased car insurance. Ive known a few people who visited the states from overseas a few months out of the year and they all leased vehicles while here.

That certainly is a possibility, but I have a tesla that is a year old and would not want to sell it if I don't have too.
I did think of selling it to my stepson and have him list us as drivers.
I have a call with a lawyer who specializes in this to get more clarity.
I am not going back till April, and will not need any type of visa till next December so there is plenty of time to research

Sure, the home is in Albufeira Portugal, if you deal in International Insurance I would be more than happy to talk with you. The premium is around 175 euros a year, it probably is not worth your time.
My home in Miami does not get rented, we just renewed the coverage about two months ago.... if you want to contact me via email to review , no problem.
I have no relationship with the agent.
I got my medicare sup and international health coverage through this website.
I don't have a problem dealing with people I meet here

Sure, the home is in Albufeira Portugal, if you deal in International Insurance I would be more than happy to talk with you. The premium is around 175 euros a year, it probably is not worth your time.
My home in Miami does not get rented, we just renewed the coverage about two months ago.... if you want to contact me via email to review , no problem.
I have no relationship with the agent.
I got my medicare sup and international health coverage through this website.
I don't have a problem dealing with people I meet here
Ha! I assumed you meant the US property and assumed you rented it out short term. That situation is a chronic miss-insured situation here in the states.
Sounds like you are all dialed in.

I did think of selling it to my stepson and have him list us as drivers.

If you do that make sure he tells his insurance company what's really happening. If you conceal what's really happening you could end up with claims denied and his policy rescinded.

And, just so you know, his insurance company may require all listed drivers to have Florida licenses.

I have a call with a lawyer who specializes in this to get more clarity.

Make sure you verify with an insurance agent any "clarity" the lawyer gives you.

I did call Progressive and they said no problem.
What I really want to do at this time is see if I can spend the time I want there without giving up my drivers license.
I also realize that may not be possible, so I either adjust the time i stay there or bite the bullet and give it up.
Not ready to be an expat.

I may be totally off base here because I don't know nuthin bout nuthin.

Could you possibly get a better arrangement in western Spain and not have to give up your Florida license? Then just commute into Portugal whenever you want to visit.

Here in south Florida, international DL's are fairly common. Many carriers will write those (Assurance America, Gainsco, Kemper, even Progressive). Some carriers will write a policy with just a passport. Keep in mind this can be very expensive as there are no verifiable driving, claim or credit histories, so best to avoid it if possible.

So we had a phone call with a Portuguese immigration lawyer.
Spain is a no go.. I would need a residence there.
We actually did that before covid.
We flew into Madrid and took a train to Sevilla.
Spains train system is great.
We rented a car in Sevilla for 9 dollars a day and drove to Portugal.
The lawyer said if we turn our drivers license in and get a Portuguese Drivers License, when we get back to the states as long as they have not been expired we can get them reissued.
This we confirmed with the dmv.
Other option is my wife gets a portuguese license and I keep my license and dont get a portuguese license.
This should work as we are not becoming full time residents...although every time I hear the news that decision gets closer to happening.
Thanks everyone for your help....we now have a clear path of how to go forward.

Back