Career Change

I didn't see any mention of the firm's requirements in all this. If you're very successful at being a cfp and or insurance agent/broker, unless you're your own principle then gross has been as issue. Are you going to cover your nut every quarter or month being a firefighter or is the firm going to be waiting to take your business from underneath you. Sorry to play devil's advocate, but I've been in both industries now and even as an independent I see this as being extremely challenging since those who take a passive approach on their business seem to get lost in the wayside.

You can do both! I do both but if necessary I work with insurance clients on weekends when I want too, evenings, early mornings, as well as do some work when I'm on duty like I had mentioned. I will also pull a 12 hour shift at night and work with insurance during the day. If you work at night you can get paid to sleep, when not busy. What other career allows you to do that. I don't miss a beat because of my EMS career. The 2 careers are very interchangeable.

I am saying this to encourage you. 6 years ago I walked away from a 100K a year career because I was burnt out. I earned my insurance licenses, became an independent agent with no income, and after a bit figured out what I enjoy selling. I haven't looked back.

Then I was told by people on this forum that "yeah right, people will really want to buy insurance from a paramedic." Well guess what, THEY DO!! As a matter of fact I always tell potential clients that I serve my community as a paid, and volunteer paramedic. I have written more business than I would have ever imagined because of it. If they didn't like the idea there are plenty of fish in the sea.

Now I teach CPR and first aid to my clients employees if they want me to, and I do it for free when they have been paying for it.

I would become a member of the NYFD and use it to your advantage. That is a lot of prospects who have families, who have families, who have families. That will be one loyal group of prospects with loyalty that most agents could only imagine.

Last edited:
You can do both! I do both but if necessary I work with insurance clients on weekends when I want too, evenings, early mornings, as well as do some work when I'm on duty like I had mentioned. I will also pull a 12 hour shift at night and work with insurance during the day. If you work at night you can get paid to sleep, when not busy. What other career allows you to do that. I don't miss a beat because of my EMS career. The 2 careers are very interchangeable.

I am saying this to encourage you. 6 years ago I walked away from a 100K a year career because I was burnt out. I earned my insurance licenses, became an independent agent with no income, and after a bit figured out what I enjoy selling. I haven't looked back.

Then I was told by people on this forum that "yeah right, people will really want to buy insurance from a paramedic." Well guess what, THEY DO!! As a matter of fact I always tell potential clients that I serve my community as a paid, and volunteer paramedic. I have written more business than I would have ever imagined because of it. If they didn't like the idea there are plenty of fish in the sea.

Now I teach CPR and first aid to my clients employees if they want me to, and I do it for free when they have been paying for it.

I would become a member of the NYFD and use it to your advantage. That is a lot of prospects who have families, who have families, who have families. That will be one loyal group of prospects with loyalty that most agents could only imagine.

Dewayne is right. Being a firefighter can open a lot of doors.

A lot of my friends were NYFD. Many put in 20 years, then retired at half pay. You could work easily at insurance and after 20 years, you would be an expert with a good book of business and a separate pension that you could live on. You would be under no pressure to produce at any time in this career and that's the best way to be of service to your clients.
Your fellow firefighters and their families would be your natural market for life insurance and retirement planning. You wouldn't have to (and shouldn't) come on too strong; just let the word get out that you are an insurance pro, a brother firefighter, and will do right by your clients. There will be plenty of social, family events where you can casually talk about financial planning, life insurance etc.
I think this is a perfect situation.

Appreciate everyone's input! So I have spoken with Guardian and MassMutual. Both are telling me the same thing -work as a broker through them. They said they will provide training and support on their products as well as the ability to use their offices for client meetings. It seems that this is the way to go for me while doing FDNY.

What other companies should I look to get appointed with if my target market (at least in the beginning) will be:

Fire Fighters
Doctors and Nurses
Young adults with kids (mostly term opportunities)

Appreciate everyone's input! So I have spoken with Guardian and MassMutual. Both are telling me the same thing -work as a broker through them. They said they will provide training and support on their products as well as the ability to use their offices for client meetings. It seems that this is the way to go for me while doing FDNY.

What other companies should I look to get appointed with if my target market (at least in the beginning) will be:

Fire Fighters
Doctors and Nurses
Young adults with kids (mostly term opportunities)
If you can , NY life, probably has more brand recognition in nyc.

Back