Carriers Don't Like Macs?

You might give Parallels a try. I use it successfully with Ohio National as well as Midland both of which use proprietary desktop (Windows) programs. I use Win XP as my virtual machine.

Anybody out there doing business primarily on a Mac? If so, how are you quoting through Safeco? Safeco website only supports Internet Explorer and you can't download IE to a Mac. I tried using windows 8 via parallels on a free trial but the website still doesn't seem to function optimally. For example, the tabs at the top of the page aren't "click-able".

I also found out that Progressive website doesn't support any browser accept IE so I'm currently using a cheap PC to quote Safeco & Progressive. Any thoughts?

If programs aren't supporting anything except IE, then they have a serious issue. 99% of the time that's the only browser that doesn't function correctly.

I gave up on hoping that I could transition to a Mac some time ago. As long as I am in the insurance business I have to have Windows.

Maybe parallels would work, next machine.

Last edited:
I have been using mac for the last 3 years in the insurance industry and I have run across a lot of problems that are easily fixed with two options. 1. (My Choice) I use Parallels with Windows 7 professional, it has to be Windows 7 because right now most carriers haven't updated their existing platform for newer technology though they are working to get there now. 2) you can use Mac's included tool BootCamp which lets you split your hard drive and install windows as if it was native to your computer. Again, this needs to be Win7Pro. This allows you to run a completely clean installment of the Windows OS without bloat from companies (like dell and HP which are notorious for that). I prefer going with Parallels though because you can run in coherence which lets you run your Windows apps next to Mac apps and shares the same file system for saving, editing and sharing files. Also, the new version of Parallels comes with six months of Parallels Mobile which is an amazing mirroring application which allows you to run your Mac, with Windows software via your iPad as if the desktop apps were built for mobile. Hope this helps.

HAHA Well said! Insurance as an industry is so far behind it's not even funny!

I don't know if I would say that. Insurance like Banks have massive operations with security and legacy issues and will always be slow to integrate new things....One of the big hooplas about Microsoft discontinueing support for Windows XP was that Banks still used it by and large many ATMs operated on them. My brother works for a bank in their call center they completed an upgrade on all their systems on the last day and moved from XP to Windows 7 so already 1 OS version behind.

Video Link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_share_of_operating_systems Let's look at the stats: 47% Windows 7 29% Windows XP 10% Windows 8 3% Windows Vista 89% Market share for windows-based OS. OSX - 8%. Where would you put your time, effort, and money as a financial institution? Just because Mac users are more passionate (fanatical) about their computers doesn't mean that the rest of the business world shares that view.

It's not just that.
Every time I have an update with IE it's hell of a balancing act to make sure that I am not losing function of some other IE website or tool.

Insurance companies and business in general should be fanatic about this. IE is unsecured compared to the other alternatives.

I can handle running windows but IE is to behind and every update (and even when you turn off updates windows updates itself)
It's a pain, and hinders productivity.

There are plenty of reasons to jump the IE ship in the business world. They are just too lazy to do it.

After the business world is in a crisis because windows xp does not have any more security updates, they will change there tune some.

I personally use a Macbook for everything. While I don't have Safeco, I do have several carriers that are simply not compatible with Safari/Google Chrome/Opera. I use Apple's bootcamp program. If you are not familiar, it takes your Mac and partitions the hard drive to allow you to run the Mac OSX and Windows. My Macbook runs Windows 7 and OSX Mavericks. Basically from the login screen on the computer it allows you to select if you want to boot in the Windows or Mac operation system. Comes in handy! I use the Windows side for business and the Mac side for personal and presentation development.

Back