Carriers Don't Like Macs?

The thing about Apple is this. They have 3 markets for computers. Consumer, Creative professionals and schools (in some settings).

They don't do enterprise because enterprise is focused on bottom line, not end user.

Enterprise lines of software and hardware are not focused on the end user.

It completely goes against what Apple sets out to do. Enhance user experience.

So, today, in Humana workshop on using their online app, we are told ipads work, but only for part of their product line.
Need Windows 8 tablet for all of them, or bring along laptop JIC.
My takeaway ideal: Macbook Air, just because--maybe with parallels loaded.

So, today, in Humana workshop on using their online app, we are told ipads work, but only for part of their product line.
Need Windows 8 tablet for all of them, or bring along laptop JIC.
My takeaway ideal: Macbook Air, just because--maybe with parallels loaded.

Why force round peg in square hole.....

It's an ideal because Macs have some very attractive features.

The reality is, I will most likely find the sweet spot of Win8 light weight laptop, possibly with detachable keyboard. Can't avoid having Windows in the work I do.

On the financial services/insurance pathway being involved in the enterprise side of computing is unavoidable.

Carriers have been slow to migrate from IE and Windows. Doing business on a Mac is still hit and miss dpending on which carriers you are using. However, most carriers you'll find still are building their websites and software with Windows OS and Internet Explorer in mind when it comes to browsers.

Anyone who is following along with the technology industry understands that a major shift is underway, and has been for quite some time. The claim that "Enterprise" is geared towards windows machines is simply no longer accurate.

With the pending transition away from XP support carriers will be forced to finally abandon their ancient .net platforms in favor of modern, flexible and scalable products.

Localization is dead. Any product that isn't build to interact with any platform / browser should be scratched off your list. Furthermore, everyone should expect more out of their UI.

Not only are Apple products more ascetically pleasing, Mac OS and iOS are the premiere operating systems to date. Watch the latest WWDC keynote; look at the adoption rates.

The statistics listed in many posts before me are irrelevant. Do some research, remain open-minded (for those life-long Windows users), and provide a logical basis for using Windows machines besides the lower cost, which has become less and less of an issue.

Anyone who is following along with the technology industry understands that a major shift is underway, and has been for quite some time. The claim that "Enterprise" is geared towards windows machines is simply no longer accurate.

With the pending transition away from XP support carriers will be forced to finally abandon their ancient .net platforms in favor of modern, flexible and scalable products.

Localization is dead. Any product that isn't build to interact with any platform / browser should be scratched off your list. Furthermore, everyone should expect more out of their UI.

Not only are Apple products more ascetically pleasing, Mac OS and iOS are the premiere operating systems to date. Watch the latest WWDC keynote; look at the adoption rates.

The statistics listed in many posts before me are irrelevant. Do some research, remain open-minded (for those life-long Windows users), and provide a logical basis for using Windows machines besides the lower cost, which has become less and less of an issue.

>>""..besides the lower cost, which has become less and less of an issue.""
Cost may not be an issue to you. It is to many others.

>>""With the pending transition away from XP support carriers will be forced to finally abandon their ancient .net platforms in favor of modern, flexible and scalable products.""

I am dealing in this business today June 09, 2014. Do some research here and you will see Apple guys have been saying the same thing for years. If and when that time comes I will deal with it then.

Are you an Insurance agent? Do you own any PCs? If not do you have to find work arounds to make your apple act like a PC? Just asking, I really do not care if it is a PC or a Mac. It is just a tool, Not a life style statement.

>>""..besides the lower cost, which has become less and less of an issue.""
Cost may not be an issue to you. It is to many others.

>>""With the pending transition away from XP support carriers will be forced to finally abandon their ancient .net platforms in favor of modern, flexible and scalable products.""

I am dealing in this business today June 09, 2014. Do some research here and you will see Apple guys have been saying the same thing for years. If and when that time comes I will deal with it then.

Are you an Insurance agent? Do you own any PCs? If not do you have to find work arounds to make your apple act like a PC? Just asking, I really do not care if it is a PC or a Mac. It is just a tool, Not a life style statement.

1. XP Support is over my friend - take a look at the attached screenshot from Microsoft's website. It's time you take action now, stop being defensive, and stop being stuck in your ways. Change is inevitable*- embrace it.

2. Cost is becoming less and less of an issue; not only are the costs of machines dropping in general, but the difference in cost between mac and windows products is also significantly less and the gap continues to close.

3. I am an insurance agent, and I manage the technology at a firm with PCs and Macs. You are getting defensive with the whole "lifestyle statement" reference. We are running a business, and appearance is a big part of that. The visual appeal of an iMac is unparalleled, and it does send a statement to your clients. Do you have clients come into the office?

4. The functionality of Windows 8 is still not there, although I like what Microsoft is doing with their metro interface. Additionally, I like 0365 and other MS tools for business, however, their latest OS simply lacks functionality.

5. I use a hosted virtualization product that allows me to remote into a hosted environment which runs Windows Sever 2012. This is an efficient way to access carriers who haven't updated to latest web standards and are only accessible via earlier versions of IE. Literally I click an icon in my dock and I'm there –*efficient enough?

6. All other internal tools are web-based. Whether you like it or not, localization of software is dead. I understand that a lot of firms use existing local products, which is fine, however, anyone looking to select a new product should be looking at SaaS options.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-06-09 at 11.48.17 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2014-06-09 at 11.48.17 AM.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 2
1. XP Support is over my friend - take a look at the attached screenshot from Microsoft's website. It's time you take action now, stop being defensive, and stop being stuck in your ways. Change is inevitable*- embrace it.

2. Cost is becoming less and less of an issue; not only are the costs of machines dropping in general, but the difference in cost between mac and windows products is also significantly less and the gap continues to close.

3. I am an insurance agent, and I manage the technology at a firm with PCs and Macs. You are getting defensive with the whole "lifestyle statement" reference. We are running a business, and appearance is a big part of that. The visual appeal of an iMac is unparalleled, and it does send a statement to your clients. Do you have clients come into the office?

4. The functionality of Windows 8 is still not there, although I like what Microsoft is doing with their metro interface. Additionally, I like 0365 and other MS tools for business, however, their latest OS simply lacks functionality.

5. I use a hosted virtualization product that allows me to remote into a hosted environment which runs Windows Sever 2012. This is an efficient way to access carriers who haven't updated to latest web standards and are only accessible via earlier versions of IE. Literally I click an icon in my dock and I'm there –*efficient enough?

6. All other internal tools are web-based. Whether you like it or not, localization of software is dead. I understand that a lot of firms use existing local products, which is fine, however, anyone looking to select a new product should be looking at SaaS options.

>>""Change is inevitable*""

Well when it becomes necessary and it makes economic sense I will do it. For now I can get two or three machines for the price of one that needs to be made to act like what it is not. Apple v PC who cares. They are tools I will leave the hand wringing to the geek squad. I make 1005 of my income selling and servicing Insurance. Of which most of the companies run on PCs. Lastly, the cost comes out of _my_ pocket. So that makes it an important issue to me.

The cell phone I use has a changeable battery and a universal charging port that only makes sense doesn't it? :)

Honestly the whole PC v Mac thing falls under "I do not care". My daughter has an Ipod.

"We are running a business, and appearance is a big part of that. The visual appeal of an iMac is unparalleled, and it does send a statement to your clients. Do you have clients come into the office?"
If you are in the same county as your screen name, then having Macs in the office for appearance is sort of like having the Noguchi coffee table of IT. In other words, a good investment.
Not that there's anything wrong with that. Just that visual design at the level of Apple can be pretty irrelevant in many locales. Read: "The Millionaire Next Door". (working class appearance, lots more net worth than the average designer home dwelling BMW owning white collar worker)
I went through the stages of grief about Apple vs. PC a long time ago. I look forward to having a Mac at some point. Just checked out some virtualization software, very reasonable.
I think your observations are correct, but talking to carriers who are just now upgrading to Windows 7 makes me think the transformation may take a while.
Thanks for your post.

Last edited:
Back