CFP, CLU, LUTC or ChFC Are They Worth Getting

I believe that in this industry designations are an ego booster, captive companies like to enforce their agents into taking them. In reality if you are making a decent living selling insurance for commission, then the time spent studying could be better used for sales activities to increase your income.

Wow..look at that guy... He has all those letters after his name... He must be good...wow.... Other friend went yep, the bank also took his house last week.... Screw the letters, show me the client base

I rarely use my designations on printed material, but I will sometimes use my JAA, LFB designation.

That's "Just An Agent, Looking For Business".

CFP, CLU, LUTC,ChFC. How much can they really help your career, and are they really worth having.

I'm not gonna comb through all the comments, but I will just say that I have taken several courses towards CLU/CFP, and they have already vastly increased my ability to bring ideas to the table with clients that have set me apart from the competition...

Just sayin...

I'm not gonna comb through all the comments, but I will just say that I have taken several courses towards CLU/CFP, and they have already vastly increased my ability to bring ideas to the table with clients that have set me apart from the competition...

Just sayin...

The point is that if you can't sell or won't prospect, all the ideas in the world aren't going to make you money.

It depends in what market you’re in. I believe none of these designations will help you sell more Final expense or mortgage insurance. However, it will boost your estate planning and retirement planning skills.

Amen Brother

Show me the money!

I would be willing to best that the average incone of agents with advanced degrees and/or designations is well above the national average for all agents. Most of the very successful agents I know have at least one designation but if I see more then two I suspect they are more academic and less sales driven. It shown some dedication to your industry and is an indication that the individual is not just a peddler. Clients may not know or care what those letters mean but their trusted advisors, CPA's and Estate Planning Attorneys that aid in major decisions do know what those designations mean
and they know how spot a professional from a strait salesmen. If you want to play at that level then you need to have the minimum screening requirements which can include degrees and designations.

I would be willing to best that the average incone of agents with advanced degrees and/or designations is well above the national average for all agents. Most of the very successful agents I know have at least one designation but if I see more then two I suspect they are more academic and less sales driven. It shown some dedication to your industry and is an indication that the individual is not just a peddler. Clients may not know or care what those letters mean but their trusted advisors, CPA's and Estate Planning Attorneys that aid in major decisions do know what those designations mean
and they know how spot a professional from a strait salesmen. If you want to play at that level then you need to have the minimum screening requirements which can include degrees and designations.

I have to admit that going through the education for mine has paid off in that I notice places I can help that I didn't previously notice. The client doesn't really give a crap about my designation, but I have asked questions differently that has led to sales that I wouldn't have previously even known to look for.

Back