Chargeback Debt Continues to Increase - What are the Repercussions of not Paying?

InsuranceGuy17

Chargeback debt is now close to $8,000. Long story short, someone I trusted convinced me to join FFL. They sold me the dream, if I work hard I'll be making $10K/week. They did not say anything about the downsides to the business. I should have done my own homework, but I trusted this person.

They kept pushing me to buy more leads saying I just need to persist and get over the learning curve. It was also tele sales so they coached me everything to say word for word in real time when on the phone making a sale. Turns out they were coaching me to write shady business.

Basically, I racked up close to $5K of credit card debt from buying leads that they kept pushing me to buy over the past 6 months. Also, chargebacks started coming in and I was doing my best to handle it, but it got to the point to where most of my new sales were just going straight to paying chargebacks.

After listening to upline and taking their advice for 6 months HE HAS NOW COMPLETELY GHOSTED ME. Out of the blue he no longer answers any of my phone calls, text messages, or emails. I've blown up his phone for weeks now.

Yes, THIS IS MY FAULT for getting myself in the situation and I've always been one to take full responsibility. I want to pay the debt off because it feels like the right thing to do, but it's close to $8000 of chargebacks now and I have close to $5,000 of credit card debt from leads and I have my own regular bills to pay.

It's not that I want this debt to roll up to anyone else, but I took all of the advice of my upline and this is where I ended up. Yes, it's my fault but I don't have the money to cover this right now and the fact that my upline coached me into this then ghosted.... It's the fact that he ghosted that makes me reluctant to pay off the debt.

I guess my question is what are the repercussions of not paying the chargeback debt? I'm not asking if it's right or wrong, but could this effect my personal credit score or are collection agencies going to come after me?

Yes, they can report you to a collection agency.

To pay it back, I would deal straight with the company that chargebacks are coming from. I'm betting most of it is with Americo since they push them so much. Work with them and they'll work with you. I hate it for you, but if you want to stay in the insurance business, you'll have to pay it off.

What were you doing to have so many chargebacks? That’s a rare month for me to get one.
Basically everything was setting us up to write bad business, which I didn't know all of this at the time. Things often didn't feel right and I know now to listen to my gut next time. It was one of those experience where you gradually lower your standards until you wake up one day and have no idea what you got yourself into.

- The leads were resold multiple times
- We were pushed to write Americo which apparently is overpriced
- We called people until they blocked us or threatened to report us
- Anytime someone wanted to "think about it" we were coached to say "okay first we need to see if you qualify", often times people didn't know they were actually applying for a policy until the very end of the application.
- we were coached to tell people who had term that they actually need whole life and people who have whole life actually need term...

I knew things weren't right, by then I had already invested thousands and just wanted to make my money back. I'm pretty sure my upline knew that something didn't sit right with me and that's why he completely ghosted.

Yes, they can report you to a collection agency.

To pay it back, I would deal straight with the company that chargebacks are coming from. I'm betting most of it is with Americo since they push them so much. Work with them and they'll work with you. I hate it for you, but if you want to stay in the insurance business, you'll have to pay it off.
Thank you for the thoughts Todd! The debt is with Mutual of Omaha, Aetna, and Americo. Honestly this has been one of the most depressing experiences of my life and I'm getting as far away from insurance as possible. I know this is a great career for many, unfortunately though I got burned bad and I just want to start fresh doing something else. So I'm not worried about staying in the insurance business.

Thank you for the thoughts Todd! The debt is with Mutual of Omaha, Aetna, and Americo. Honestly this has been one of the most depressing experiences of my life and I'm getting as far away from insurance as possible. I know this is a great career for many, unfortunately though I got burned bad and I just want to start fresh doing something else. So I'm not worried about staying in the insurance business.

Is it your debt? Yes.
Are some imos business models predatory? Yes.
Do uplines make an override? Yes.
Is one of the justifications charge backs rolling up? Yes.

Make the right decision for you and your family. They did for them and theirs.

For the record, I have good relationships with my uplines.

If your exiting the ins business they’ll not get it back and if you return to business you’ll have to pay it back . But your credit will be shot for 7 yrs .

If your exiting the ins business they’ll not get it back and if you return to business you’ll have to pay it back . But your credit will be shot for 7 yrs .
Why would my credit be shot for 7 years? That’s for bankruptcy, right?

It sucks but you need to pay it back. Call the carriers and get on a payment plan. They will work with you.

If you don't pay A) you're out of the insurance business and B) they will report you to collection agencies which will ruin your credit.

Latest posts

Back