Child Health Plus Vs Family Plan

dhayes

Hello All.
I might be missing something. I am a business owner who has a family of 3 small kids. My plan with the chamber was cancelled and I have the option of going to the chamber for another group plan or looking at the NY exchange. I have gone round and round on this and need to decide. Needless to say my premiums will be going up for the same plan/deductible from $8400 per year to $13,200 per year. So needless to say although this was predictable I am not happy. And, the lack of out of network coverage has me terrified. For some reason people around me do not seem to think this is a big deal. Bizzare.:err:

So I was looking at the exchanges and I can break things up and get my kids in Child Health plus and my wife and I can do a gold plan. Our income levels do not qualify for any subsidies. I looked at everything CH+ has and I must be missing something since it provides A LOT of coverage without deductibles. So the big question I have is what is the different between kids on CH+ and a family plan where we all participate? I checked all the the kids docs and all the providers are there. So am I missing something that is radically different? Is the CH+ in some way substandard?

Thanks for any info!
Dave

We have some NY agents (RayNY in particular) that may see this and respond. I can't answer your specific question about that plan but I would encourage you to talk with an agent about OFF exchange plans.

In most states (NY may be different) you have a wider selection and broader network vs exchange plans.

Thanks much for the response. I tend to be obsessive about this and after all the time and research I have come to the conclusion that the NY exchanges are basically a giant welfare system that will collapse on itself. I think 90% of the people walking around society have no idea what will hit them in 2014. People will have less discretionary income to buy things. Moreover businesses will raise prices to cover these costs thus causing a massive inflationary environment. I am not a tin foil hat guy and am politically independent but what I see coming is going to send shock waves through our economy. I will be pulling everything from the stock market on 1/2.

Anyway, I have settled on the local chamber plan. It is a group policy. The EXACT one I had for the past 2 years. My premium increase is $ 4,300 per year.

Oh, I am FORCED to buy dental insurance for my kids at a rate of $ 1,540 per year. And since I am not buying health insurance from the exchange I can not get dental insurance from the exchanges. I know the health insurance companies offer their own pediatric plans for $15 per kid per month. That would sound good but none of the dentists we use are in that network. Most of the dentists listed are in the inner city or student dentist plans. So my perception here is that since the ACA forced this essential piece then the health insurance companies setup the lowest end options available just to adhere to that rule. So as a result I need to buy a plan for my entire family which is an outrage.

Anyway, my case might be unique. Personally I do not think so. We live in interesting times and 2014 will certainly be interesting.!

Thanks all and sorry for my rant!

Dave

Back