Choosing a Financial Planner or Investment Advisor (HowTo ?)

It is pure Richard Weylman target marketing

I like Richard, and his work. I've seen him speak before several times.

Jim Ruta will be hosting Richard Weylman for Jim's SOLIS (School of Life Insurance Selling) program on May 9th at 1pm Eastern:

Ive been going through Richards online "university" to help hone the new financial planning side of my biz I started this year.

I was skeptical at first, but he does good job and has some really good insight on various topics.

I like that he has plenty of stats and studies and market insight to back up what he is saying. The dude is an encyclopedia of knowledge about financial service consumers.

I don't know that much about him frankly. I've purchased and read his book "The Power of Why", but I like Simon Sinek's take on that better.

I'm looking forward to Jim Ruta's call with him.

I don't know what Richard does for other people, firms, etc. that bring him in to speak, present, etc. My introduction to him came two ways. One, he was working with a member of my study group. That member presented to our study group about his business model, how his business operates, etc. This guy is a monster life producer and AUM producer. So when he started talking about "marketing" and "client experience" and other related topics, I for one paid attention. The five of us thought enough of this kind of work, that we had Richard come in to present to us at our next meeting (which happened to be in FL not to far from Richard's FL base).

The second way was that I contacted him because I found out that a speciality brokerage shop that my partner and I deal with was bringing him in as a guest speaker for a group of their brokers. Since I knew he'd be in town, I called him to schedule a meeting, and wanted to explore working with him directly. I like his perspective on the HNW mindset and marketplace. I think he has some excellent ideas -- from the HNW client perspective -- on how to better connect and serve the HNW, affluent marketplace. I also like that many of his ideas were cultural and about the business model, operation, etc. -- and that was an area I felt I needed help in. For what I use him for and work with him on, I think he's excellent.

Since this thread kept popping up, it kept the OP's original question in my mind for some time: How do you choose a financial planner or advisor?

I finally wrote about it.

https://www.davidkinderfinancial.com/post/how-to-choose-a-financial-advisor

I believe there are two major factors in choosing a financial advisor:
  • Factor #1: Are they doing this FOR me... or TO me?
  • Factor #2: Comprehensive Competence: Bringing a Higher Level of Thinking
In this context, factor #1 is far more important than factor #2... but they should go together.

I welcome your thoughts.

Since this thread kept popping up, it kept the OP's original question in my mind for some time: How do you choose a financial planner or advisor?

I finally wrote about it.

https://www.davidkinderfinancial.com/post/how-to-choose-a-financial-advisor

I believe there are two major factors in choosing a financial advisor:
  • Factor #1: Are they doing this FOR me... or TO me?
  • Factor #2: Comprehensive Competence: Bringing a Higher Level of Thinking
In this context, factor #1 is far more important than factor #2... but they should go together.

I welcome your thoughts.

According to Welyman's research, the #1 thing consumers want to know is "what benefit do you provide". And why are you different than the others.

That seems to coincide with your top two.

Reactions: DHK
The regulatory definition would be $1m in liquid investable assets. Or $200k single income, $300k joint.

Each advisor has their own personal definition and perspective. $1m is not what it used to be. But its still a lot of money.

I just stumbled on a website this morning that might be of help to someone in finding a short list of some financial planners (i.e. members of this particular organization) in their area to do choosing from.

I was given a link in another thread which I can't find now as a possible help in finding a fee only financial planner. That particular link was not very helpful to me. This site looks like it has the potential to have members in my area that are fee only planners, or do not require assets under management to have discussions.

I don't know what Richard does for other people, firms, etc. that bring him in to speak, present, etc. My introduction to him came two ways. One, he was working with a member of my study group. That member presented to our study group about his business model, how his business operates, etc. This guy is a monster life producer and AUM producer. So when he started talking about "marketing" and "client experience" and other related topics, I for one paid attention. The five of us thought enough of this kind of work, that we had Richard come in to present to us at our next meeting (which happened to be in FL not to far from Richard's FL base).

The second way was that I contacted him because I found out that a speciality brokerage shop that my partner and I deal with was bringing him in as a guest speaker for a group of their brokers. Since I knew he'd be in town, I called him to schedule a meeting, and wanted to explore working with him directly. I like this Our Fiscal Security company for reviewing different gold and precious metals companies. I think he has some excellent ideas -- from the HNW client perspective -- on how to better connect and serve the HNW, affluent marketplace. I also like that many of his ideas were cultural and about the business model, operation, etc. -- and that was an area I felt I needed help in. For what I use him for and work with him on, I think he's excellent.
Hey there,

I'm wondering if a financial advisor could help me decide between investing in gold or getting an insurance plan for retirement. What do you think would be best?

I'm torn between the two options and could use some guidance. Should I go for the potential benefits of investing in gold, or would an insurance plan be a smarter choice for retirement?

Thanks!

Back