CIC- Certified Insurance Counselor

oooook. See, I thought we were talking about a normal agent that is looking to get a designation. I guess the CIC topic wasn't clear to me...sorry I misunderstood. :/

No problem... and you are correct if we are talking about the average "main street" type of agent, most of their buyers are looking at the bottom line because their exposure is covered properly by a BOP. If a normal agent wants to increase his knowledge and compete for larger and more sophisticated accounts then these designations (CIC, CPCU, ARM, CRM) are a good start.

I am continually amazed at the heat when designations are mentioned. In my opinion a lot depends upon the market and the agent. Many who have designations know little and many who don't know little; it seems to me that the designation can easily help establish credibility if it is an a known designation. In 1990 know one had a clue what the CFP designation meant; now, it seems to me that many know. I don't wish to cause a ruckus here, but I choose a CPA to work on my taxes, and I choose a certified mechanic to work on my autos... that does not mean that H&R Block could not do it nor does it mean that the wrench down the street is incompetent. Anyone here interested in a physician without the appropriate designation and training? I doubt it.

I've had clients ask me about my training and my education and as it has already been mentioned in some situations it is a must. I wonder if there is anyone out there who has a designation and has kept it alive thinks it has been a detriment to their business. I doubt it.

If a designation is having power over you and how you operate your practice, it can be a detriment.

The CFP & CFP Board are such entities that will wrestle more control over its designees over time and they are NOT assets for your business.

You may disagree with me about the value of the CFP. Yes, it has become more well-known... and the CFP board is going to make you PAY for that benefit in multiple ways - particularly in compliance and in how you operate your practice.

It was honestly the best thing I've done. I have confidence in any situation I find myself and it's easy to keep alive once you have it. There are a lot of cases I never would have closed without it, but not because of the client's perception. It was solely based on the confidence I brought to the situation. For that, it's been well worth it.

Thanks for the input everyone. I didn't expect so much discussion. I would like some comments on the testing process and challenges faced in that segment of obtaining the designation.

Gulliver

I think it is often difficult to tell the impact of having an industry designation. It is a subtle effect that many (not all) people notice. It's not like they are going to contact you and tell you that the reason they are doing business with you is because you are a CIC or whatever. It just adds to the overall appearance of professionalism, knowledge base and commitment to the industry.

We, as agents, need to always continue on the path of educating ourselves and continuing to evolve as professionals. Much can be learned from these sources and it may help you sell more and you might not ever realize it.

I think it is often difficult to tell the impact of having an industry designation. It is a subtle effect that many (not all) people notice. It's not like they are going to contact you and tell you that the reason they are doing business with you is because you are a CIC or whatever. It just adds to the overall appearance of professionalism, knowledge base and commitment to the industry.

We, as agents, need to always continue on the path of educating ourselves and continuing to evolve as professionals. Much can be learned from these sources and it may help you sell more and you might not ever realize it.

Well said. We don't always know how much these things help us in our careers. I know personally, I have two very good agents that work for me that stem from our meetings over the years at CIC classes. Those guys combine to bring in over $1M in annual commission. I also landed a hard to acquire appointment because I spent 3 days sitting next to a marketing manager and convinced her I knew what I was doing and would be a good agency to partner with.

I guess the main point is that it can never hurt to put yourself in a postion to learn from and network with those at the top of the industry.

Back