Cigna Health

Cigna is very similar to Aetna as far as underwriting and their plans are concerned. They do not ryder conditions, just rate up. I'm not a huge fan of how pap smears, bone density screenings, and PSA goes towards ded but o well. Also, keep and eye on the co-insurance! The higher the deductible the higher the co-insurance. The 5k ded has another 5k in co-ins.

They are extremely backed up in FL still. The case updates on the website are useless as is the agent service line. I have managed to get a couple of contacts that allow me to get things done much faster. Also, the agent service line for UW updates, they don't know what they are talking about. If you need answers talk to sales. If you need action on an app, get the UW's direct line.

That's not good to hear, a Cigna Rep called me yesterday and is sending me uw guidelines, commission schedules and plans and told me uw is about 2 weeks, guess not ugh.

I was told by the GA rep underwriting is taking 3 - 4 weeks but they expect to hire more underwriters soon to take care of the backlog . . .

Found out why Cigna plans & underwriting are almost identical to Aetna. Bill Roth, VP of sale for individual & small group migrated to Cigna from Aetna.

Cigna's UW is still far too long. All apps are at least two weeks with most being around 4. I have one right now that is at 6 that took 16 days just to get to an UW. And that is with me calling UW's and getting it to their attention. One of the head UW's told me they just hired 5 more UW's that are in training right now. They are also working on some other issues. I would hold off writing them if you can. I have as much as possible however their rates are very competitive in FL. Their agent service case update people have no clue what they are doing. Try to get the actual UW's # when speaking with them. Also speak with your local reps. They can help a little bit. Just forewarn your clients about the time table. If its the middle of the month and someone is going to have coverage lapse come the first then Cigna is not an option. Also keep in mind that the longer a policy is in UW the longer it takes for you to get paid. So more than likely someone that wanted an effective date of the 1st who gets approved say the 15th, is going to keep their current policy till the end of the month. Now your commission is a month later. I've been having my issues with commissions also and all I get are apologies.

Bill Roth, VP of sale for individual & small group migrated to Cigna from Aetna.

Cigna's UW is still far too long. All apps are at least two weeks with most being around 4. Now your commission is a month later. I've been having my issues with commissions also and all I get are apologies.

Sounds like ole Bill brought all of his "best practices" with him...

Agent centric.

I see no reason to spend a lot of time with them unless I have a client who is willing to wait a month or longer on a decision. They have very competitive rates but that is quickly offset by their underwriting loads.

Clean cases are the only way I would go with them.

I figure it will be this fall before they are really ready to play. By then UHC will have new plans, Aetna will be in full swing with new underwriting and new plans and who knows what other goodies are in store for the Peach state.

"I see no reason to spend a lot of time with them unless I have a client who is willing to wait a month or longer on a decision. They have very competitive rates but that is quickly offset by their underwriting loads."

Couldn't have said it better Somarco. They have great rates but you have to tell your client it is going to be at least a month. If they're cool with that then go ahead with it. Many are not.

Back