Clarification On The Special Election Period, Please

I have a prospect, 72, whose husband is still working and has her on his employers group health policy. She would like to go on Medicare with a Med Supp to save some money, as their policy is costing ~$400 a month for her to be on it... but her husband is not planning on retiring any time soon.

The kicker is that she has some ticker issues, and she won't clear underwriting.

I have read that she would be GI if she was "losing" her employer-paid health coverage... but I didn't get the feeling that would include voluntary termination of her coverage as a spouse of an employee who would keep his coverage.

Any of you salty dogs want to chime in?

As always, I appreciate your time and input.

She tells her hubby's company she no longer wants coverage as of such and such date, they give her a letter saying she no longer has coverage as of such and such date. She then goes GI with any company that starts on such and such date. Send that letter in with app. End of thread. Next.

Last edited:
and if she's got heart problems, I'd recommend putting her with a company that hasn't had a lot of rate increases over the last 10 years...

also, ton's of agents take people off group insurance to "save money", but after Part D premiums and copays, might not really save anything... research her part d plans for this year before you take her off, or you might be getting an angry phone call when Rx come due, or when she gets a rate increase next year

And I would read the Med supp underwriting guidelines for a final answer. I called in to a company and what I was told was an incorrect answer and the guidelines had the correct answer.

It would be helpful if you told us what your question was, who at the company you spoke to, and what company did you call. Your statement will only be helpful if you provide that information.

Much of what one reads is given to interpretation. If you speak to a senior underwriter, he/she may ask additional questions for clarification then be able to address the question correctly.

In my experience many times the question is not asked correctly.

Just like the agent who called the company asking for information on their GI Med Supps. The agent was told the company didn't have any GI Med Supps and the agent hung up.

What he really wanted information on was "Open Enrollment". He didn't ask the question correctly, the company did not have GI Med Supps. No, OE is not the same as GI.

Why didn't the 72 year old and her husband check with medicare to begin with ? Yes, the above posts gave you good advice, if in doubt on anything, call the proper authority.....CMS-Med Supp Dept of the insurance company you sell for.

Here's another one wanting his hand held as we walk him down the path of closing a deal.

Time for you to do some reading, talking to underwriting of the carrier you will be placing them with, etc.

If you didn't want to help why didn't you just move on to another thread. Why be a dick? What do you get out of that?
rolleyes.gif

You wouldn't want any advice from an "internet forum"? Why are you here? You nothing of value to add, nothing witty to say. You just make us waste our time reading your put downs. What kind of person enjoys putting downs others?
rolleyes.gif

If you didn't want to help why didn't you just move on to another thread. Why be a dick? What do you get out of that?
rolleyes.gif

You wouldn't want any advice from an "internet forum"? Why are you here? You nothing of value to add, nothing witty to say. You just make us waste our time reading your put downs. What kind of person enjoys putting downs others?
rolleyes.gif

haha...?? i as well would like to know?

Not putting down, trying to motivate. He asked. We answered. Then instead of doing personal/professional research he asked even more detailed questions. Questions that without more details the answers could very well lead him to do harm to this client. Forums are great to get the right direction or quick reference, but the first answers he got should have prompted anyone asking about that case to do some research.

Forums are great places to gain industry knowledge, know how, and opinions.

Last edited:
I called United Health for someone not in a guar. issue period. Asked about pre-existing health issues being a concern - was told that if they qualified, they did not have to worry about pre-existing. I find qualifying for UHC the easiest - anyhoo, this statement was not correct - there is a 90 day waiting on any pre-existing. (Was not trying to be evasive)

Back