Clients that demand use of honorifics

I just call them what I want, which is their first name. If they don't like it, they can go somewhere else and save me from dealing with a high maintenance/pretentious client. Not all money is worth it!! I'm NOT Burger King. You aren't gonna "have it your way." I've got enough stress. I don't need to worry about people like this. They simply aren't worth it.

Last edited:
I kind of feel that it depends on your locale as well. Where I am at it's probably more of a detriment to use anything other than someone's first name. I get in the practice of it. I'm 49 so I do understand the reverence and respect Mr or Mrs brings, and even years later and even with their insistence old teachers of mine its hard to use first names with.

Other than that, when in doubt I use first names... it's actually helped me into many doors when I ask the gatekeeper if Bob is around vs if Mr Smith is available. When they ask what its regarding I say Trout, about the insurance. They say Trent? I laugh and say I get that a lot, no Haha, Trout, like the fish... they laugh a little and boom, they whisk me through to Bob assuming Bob and I go way back.

That said, if a client says address me as Mr Smith (not my real surname fyi), I explain that we need a level of trust and respect enough to be on a first name basis. I'm going to be deep in your finances and other very detailed aspects of your business. I've even said, last names are for salespeople, I'm your consultant.

Maybe it sounds like I'm a prick but it seems to work perfectly. Seriously, the reality is that if I am so beholden to my clients whims, I'm not going to properly be able to assess, mitigate, and communicate their needs and solutions to them.

If I have naysayers that's cool, but for every one I lose because of my approach, I can assure you I gain and keep 10 because when a problem arises, they want to hear Bob, I got your back... and believe me, its far easier for a customer to shop around on a Mr Soandso, than it is to shop around on their insurance guy Trout... but then again, half call me Mr Trout so who knows.

I kind of feel that it depends on your locale as well. Where I am at it's probably more of a detriment to use anything other than someone's first name. I get in the practice of it. I'm 49 so I do understand the reverence and respect Mr or Mrs brings, and even years later and even with their insistence old teachers of mine its hard to use first names with.

Other than that, when in doubt I use first names... it's actually helped me into many doors when I ask the gatekeeper if Bob is around vs if Mr Smith is available. When they ask what its regarding I say Trout, about the insurance. They say Trent? I laugh and say I get that a lot, no Haha, Trout, like the fish... they laugh a little and boom, they whisk me through to Bob assuming Bob and I go way back.

That said, if a client says address me as Mr Smith (not my real surname fyi), I explain that we need a level of trust and respect enough to be on a first name basis. I'm going to be deep in your finances and other very detailed aspects of your business. I've even said, last names are for salespeople, I'm your consultant.

Maybe it sounds like I'm a prick but it seems to work perfectly. Seriously, the reality is that if I am so beholden to my clients whims, I'm not going to properly be able to assess, mitigate, and communicate their needs and solutions to them.

If I have naysayers that's cool, but for every one I lose because of my approach, I can assure you I gain and keep 10 because when a problem arises, they want to hear Bob, I got your back... and believe me, its far easier for a customer to shop around on a Mr Soandso, than it is to shop around on their insurance guy Trout... but then again, half call me Mr Trout so who knows.
It's really what you're comfortable with. We older guys started out in a time when you paid proper respect to people(until they show they don't deserve respect) by calling them Mr. or Mrs. until they tell you to call them by their first names. If I feel they would feel comfortable with me calling them by their first name, I ask, "Mrs. Smith, is it okay if I call you Beatrice?" :yes:

It's really what you're comfortable with. We older guys started out in a time when you paid proper respect to people(until they show they don't deserve respect) by calling them Mr. or Mrs. until they tell you to call them by their first names. If I feel they would feel comfortable with me calling them by their first name, I ask, "Mrs. Smith, is it okay if I call you Beatrice?" :yes:
See, I'm in that not old, but not young stage (depending on who is asking) at 49, but I think you nailed it... there really isn't a right or wrong. If it works for you, do more of it, if it doesn't, do something else.

See, I'm in that not old, but not young stage (depending on who is asking) at 49, but I think you nailed it... there really isn't a right or wrong. If it works for you, do more of it, if it doesn't, do something else.

That is really the right answer. Life is too short and there are too many clients to get obsessed about if you said Mr. or not. They'll pick up real quick if you are respectful or not and that is what matters to the people you want as clients.

What kind of ego does one have that they would take offense at being asked to use Mr. or Mrs. to the point of forgoing commission? I don't care what they ask me to call them as long as they are buyers.

What kind of ego does one have that they would take offense at being asked to use Mr. or Mrs. to the point of forgoing commission? I don't care what they ask me to call them as long as they are buyers.

I don't know that it is ego, but usually the people that did it were complete douches. So perhaps more the straw that broke the camel's back? Fortunately, it is extremely rare. Much more common is, "Please don't call me Mister. I prefer Jim."

Back