Cluster Suggestions - Anywhere I Can Take Payment & Bind??

I'm looking for any advice I can get on which clusters you guys are with, and if they allow you to bind coverage. I am coming from a captive agent in California so having the ability to quote and bind within the same phone call is extremely important to my sales process. Any recommendations on reputable companies that can provide good carriers would be greatly appreciated. I do not have a book right now, so a fee and commission split is honestly fine. I can do my research on the rest of the contract, just wanted to see if you guys had recommendations of people to contact.

You may not know the answer to this question - but what commercial insurers are you wanting direct access to?

I have some from my Cluster, but I am more of a personal lines guy.

Unless its a very very simple commercial policy - I am not sure that I have too many that are call in and bind on the spot. Simple one man shops in super easy classes, sure.

@Markthebroker you flying around out there with your gorgeous hair? Any ideas here.

You may not know the answer to this question - but what commercial insurers are you wanting direct access to?

I have some from my Cluster, but I am more of a personal lines guy.

Unless its a very very simple commercial policy - I am not sure that I have too many that are call in and bind on the spot. Simple one man shops in super easy classes, sure.

@Markthebroker you flying around out there with your gorgeous hair? Any ideas here.

Sorry, I was styling my hair and ironing my cape.

I would start with PIIB and United Valley. Those are two that I have used and been happy with, but there may be others out there that fit you better.

With no book, no production history or experience as an independent agent, you don't have a lot of options. As far as commercial is concerned, as that is mostly what I know, you are going to be spending as much time fumbling around and tripping on yourself as you will writing business for the first year or so. FYI the training period for a commercial underwriter is 2-5 years, and that's about what you should be looking at as an independent agent selling commercial.

I'm looking for any advice I can get on which clusters you guys are with, and if they allow you to bind coverage. I am coming from a captive agent in California so having the ability to quote and bind within the same phone call is extremely important to my sales process. Any recommendations on reputable companies that can provide good carriers would be greatly appreciated. I do not have a book right now, so a fee and commission split is honestly fine. I can do my research on the rest of the contract, just wanted to see if you guys had recommendations of people to contact.

Ability to bind on your own may be the most important thing when choosing a network, so I think you're on the right path there.

Was a retail agency owner myself for a number of years, but now doing business development for a network based out of Colorado called Horizon Agency Systems.

Figured I would throw that out there so you know I may be biased. All that said, I wouldn't be working for the network if I didn't have a great experience with them on the retail side, that's for sure!

Our offering is very straight forward compared to any other contract I've seen.

That said, even if you don't contact us, here's something you may find valuable during your search. Use these questions when talking with any network.

1. Do you have a good carrier mix across the lines of business I want to use in my agency?
  2. Are those carriers competitive in my region specifically?
  3. Do you have any production requirements?
  4. Do you provide an agency management system?
  5. Do you provide a comparative rater(s)?
  6. Do you have a non-compete or non-solicitation if I decide your network isn't for me? If so... why?
  7. Do I need an office or may I work from home?
  8. What if I am new to Insurance, is that ok in your network?
  9. Do you have any exit fees?
  10. Can I sell my agency at some point?
  11. If I sell my agency, do you take a cut?
  12. Will I quote, bind, and service my policyholders directly with the carrier on their sites, or submit through you.
  13. How long is my contract for, and do I get ownership right away, or over time?
  14. What are the startup fees and are you willing to work with me if I need to make payments?
  15. What is the commission rate/split?
  16. What is the criteria for participation in the contingency bonuses (if applicable)?
  17. When there are overrides and incentive bonuses do we get any of those while in your network?
  18. Do you have a cap on the commission split or do you take your split forever?
  19. Do you offer training during the startup phase of my agency and mentorship throughout the relationship?
  20. Are you open to me contacting some of your member agencies before I sign the contract?
  21. Are you open to me contacting some of your carrier reps before I sign the contract?
  22. May I have an attorney, or third-party consultant review my contract with me?
  23. How much industry experience does your network leadership have?
  24. Has anyone in your leadership had experience in running an independent agency?
  25. Does anyone in your leadership have any carrier experience/background?
  26. May I contract with other carriers outside of your network?
  27. How long have you been in business and how many agencies do you have in your network?
  28. Define ownership.
  29. How does your agency network make money?

Back