Cold Calling is powerful

insuranced2d

Expert
I think cold calling is super powerful. Why?

1) You are prequalifying prospects when you used bought lists with demographic filters rather than just blindly buying leads from a provider.

-Although it might be easier- the vast majority of the leads I've bought in my experience didn't qualify, didn't have money and just weren't the right kind of people I was looking for.

2) The fact that your a person doing it! When you're a REAL person, and you're actually calling someone, and it's not a robo call you can answer to objections! You yourself can respond when they say not interested:

I know you're not interested ms. walker why would you be? You haven't heard about the best part about what I'm doing for people ONLY in (their area) so let me ask you, when's a good time we can jump on a zoom like they do in the covid times?

3) You have opportunity to be funny!

4) You have the opportunity to email them, and follow up, and bring them into your marketing system!

I get fired up about this kind of stuff because once you're good- you can teach others and grow your agency with that! ESPECIALLY if you have the proper re-targetting set up. I use the insurance search and sell system whenever I get a lead, and it works pretty well :)

What about you all?

I know you're not interested ms. walker why would you be? You haven't heard about the best part about what I'm doing for people ONLY in (their area) so let me ask you, when's a good time we can jump on a zoom like they do in the covid times?

If your opening isn't powerful enough... you'll get that response. In essence, if people are answering your opening with "Oh, you're one of those"... you're going to get that response.

And that's your fault, not theirs.

Don't get that objection in the first place... or don't even try to overcome it. Own it that either you suck... or they really aren't interested.

Now, if you WANT to try to overcome the objection... don't be a g**d*** m******f***** salesman! That was "amateur night in the arena" with the way you handled that in your post.

ASK A QUESTION!

In fact, I would ask two questions, right in a row: "May I ask why? Is it just a bad time right now?"

If what you do is great, and in your own mind believe that no one in their right mind should be turning you down... then the only reason someone isn't interested is that the timing is bad - either in the moment or for their phase in life for now.

Then LISTEN to what they say... and respond accordingly.

So I would bring that up and you can choose to offer to follow up with them in a few months AND/OR put them on your email list and they can reach back out when they're ready. (They won't - but it's a polite way of offering to be of service.)

Cold calling will generate you some sales if you work hard enough. The problem with cold calling is you have so many extra "no's" in between the "yesses". That means your profit per hour is lowered quite a bit, and you might make more $$$ working at McDonald's.

This is a business and you need to invest accordingly if you want a robust successful business. Invest in fresh, exclusive, highly targeted leads. Your profit per hour increases much more than enough to pay for your investment on leads.

Here's an example of what you would want if you're in the final expense arena.....

Senior Life Insurance Company Affordable Life Plan TV Commercial, 'Important Message'

Edit: The OP

Respectfully, the post sounds like an old recruiters training seminar.
More like someone trained to be a recruiter than an agent. Someone trained to be a recruiter by someone trained to be a recruiter.

People trained to use scripts instead of being trained to listen.

All IMohsoHO

Last edited:
Respectfully, the post sounds like an old recruiters training seminar.
More like someone trained to be a recruiter than an agent. Someone trained to be a recruiter by someone trained to be a recruiter.

All IMohsoHO
The best sales scripts have questions to draw the prospect into a conversation and then allow the agent to solve the objection or problem and not just "rebutt" them.

Good listening skills are important for many successful agents. The adage "God gave you two ears and one mouth for a reason" is a visual reminder.

Too many agents would rather talk than listen.

Too many agents tell or pitch rather than asking questions.

If you ask the right questions and listen, your prospect will tell you exactly what they want.

Good listening skills are important for many successful agents. The adage "God gave you two ears and one mouth for a reason" is a visual reminder.

Too many agents would rather talk than listen.

Too many agents tell or pitch rather than asking questions.

If you ask the right questions and listen, your prospect will tell you exactly what they want.
The best sales is the one the client talks himself into. He can't do that if we don't shut our mouth.

Nothing wrong with scripts in general. But there is much wrong with most scripts in their particular, e.g. "I wish you had this car in green," says the customer. "If I could get it in green for you would you buy it," sputters the car salesman.

Don't get that objection in the first place... or don't even try to overcome it. Own it that either you suck... or they really aren't interested ... In fact, I would ask two questions, right in a row: "May I ask why? Is it just a bad time right now?"

Sandro Forte has an excellent word track that works well for agents who do what we do:.

The prospect says "I'm not interested."

Sandro says, "Thank you so much for sharing that with me. And if I were you I would have responded exactly the same way. And if I could show you two or three ways that I could make you instantly more wealthy would that be of value?"

There are two key linguistic structures that make that response extremely effective. Most salespeople reading it will remove both of them, thinking that they have memorized the word track, when in fact they have created a new and significantly less effective response. But learn to say it exactly as it is written, and it is a wonderful sorting tool.

The "I'm not interested," aka "just looking" response is so in-grained in consumer culture been the best initial like could use a back up. But the more effective your initial approach the better. The best approach will make "mot interested" a perfectly acceptable response because I want to know quickly if someone is a prospect or merely another name.

Back