Cold Calling Without a Name

How do you get past the gatekeeper when phone calling businesses if you don't have the owners name?

I recommend using LinkedIn to find the contacts name. At the least you should be able to find someone in the same company that may be able to help you.

Just call and ask for sales. They'll transfer you quickly without gatekeeping. Salespeople are friendly and like to talk. Tell them what you're doing, get pre-approach on the boss, and have them transfer you over.

Just call and ask for sales. They'll transfer you quickly without gatekeeping. Salespeople are friendly and like to talk. Tell them what you're doing, get pre-approach on the boss, and have them transfer you over.

I like your way of thinking. That is very smart.

When I used to cold call businesses for sec 125...I would say " Hi my name is ___________ I need to speak to the owner in reference to your employee benefits".

Alot of times they would assume that I was calling about their existing plan. I picked a quite a few deals this way.

I like this, sneaky, truthful (to a degree) , and effective! :idea:
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
About as cheesy as it gets...those without skill need to resort to trickery.

in this industry to get an open mind or someone to listen to you, trickery must be used at the beginning to get someones attention. its not a bait and switch but merely a way of getting someone to listen who didn't at the first approach.

Last edited:
I agree...do try to get a contact name, but I've always found the best approach is to sound honest and sincere. Many receptionist are trained or learn very quick to sniff out salespeople. Short, sweet and to the point ask who is the person responsible for X and use a little charm (as appropriate) if needed. I some times will say "to save you the time of taking a message do you think I can just email them?" They want to get on and off the phone to the next call or task for the day. My two cents...

can i talk to peter? oh wait peter does not work there anymore? well who handles the insurance now in the business. Can you help me out im trying to reach who handles the insurance

in this industry to get an open mind or someone to listen to you, trickery must be used at the beginning to get someones attention. its not a bait and switch but merely a way of getting someone to listen who didn't at the first approach.
Where in the hell is the dislike button?

I'll reiterate my thought; there are PLENTY of ways to get someone's attention - legitimately. Only those weak in ability have to resort to trickery to get the job done!

Back