Cold Calling

Discussion in 'Employee Benefits Forum' started by sbg_ben, Mar 20, 2017.

1. rousemark

rousemark Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    All I know is we got in a lot of homes and sold a lot of insurance when we used it.

2. thomasm

thomasm Well-Known Member

State:
    Nebraska
  3. Rick Deckard

Rick Deckard Well-Known Member

4. sbg_ben

sbg_ben Member

Just an update, I actually got one call back from a guy. He wasn't offering health health insurance to his employees because he couldn't afford it but he said depending on what happens with the government he might and to check back in 90 days. I don't think the cost of providing health care is going to go down in 90 days but I might call back with some other products in mind like disability.

I've also gotten over my fear and started doing more in person "cold calling" which I think is quite a bit better. People are a lot less angry and reluctant to hear you out.

Thanks,
    Ben

5. NWBenefitProvider

NWBenefitProvider Well-Known Member

State:
    Washington
    Ben,

If you are willing to write some individual health policies, you have a hot lead with the business owner you talked to. If he's not providing coverage, the employees are getting it on their own and you may as well offer to help them. Even though it's outside open enrollment, you could offer to come in and do a quick Q&A with the employees and likely get broker of record letters. Then you have a foot in the door for when they want a group plan. If they don't, then you go back at open enrollment and sign everyone up for their individual plans. More work, but if you are just getting started, it is a way to get some traction.

Good for you for just going for it. You will learn a lot by trial and error, but keep at it.

6. sbg_ben

sbg_ben Member

I think that moving forward i'm probably not going to focus on doing a lot of b2b cold calling in regard to using the phone because it might burn some bridges. People just don't seem to be very receptive on the phone when you do get to the right person they seem a little pissed off right off the bat.

I am going to focus more on the in person route, i'm also joining some organizations like rotary/chamber of commerce and possibly a BNI group in order to meet some business owners. We are also going to start focusing on asking our existing clients for leads which is something we haven't really been doing.

You do bring up a good point regarding the individual health policies, at this point i'm really not in a position to be picky about any kind of client that I am licensed to sell any kind of policy to. :idea: