Colonial VS Aflac

I don't care for either. I find that Boston Mutual has a great accident plan and puts both to shame. For life insurance I like Transamerica. Now if you need enrollers to do these I can understand going w/ the duck or Colonial but if you have your own enrollment team look into Boston Mutual and Transamerica.

I disagree with your analysis....your not taking in to account the loss ratio as well as the when compairing policies you must compair apples to apples. If you can't get your claim paid (colonial) it doesn't matter what the they tell you on paper... MANY clients of mine employers and employees alike have told me horror stories of claims not being paid by colonial. Needless to say they are now happy aflac clients!!!!
I've actually heard many times the complete opposite. Colonials claims rating is ranked at 95%. When you compare an apples to applies colonial .will be 28 to 35% cheaper with higher paying benefits.

Ah, AFLAC. My first gig in the insurance biz. Wrote some individual biz in the six months I was there, which my manager didn't care for because she thought I should be totally focused on landing group accounts. Just like the 10 thousand other agents in our office.

We would crowd into the Regional Coordinator's office every Friday afternoon for a pep rally, reminding us of the FORTUNE we could all make if we just put in the shoe leather. Sneaked a look at the Top Producing Agent in the Region's computer right after Christmas and saw that she had grossed 40K in commissions for the year. Meaning her net after expenses was probably less than 30K. And she was the STAR in the office.

The whole state organization got termed by AFLAC 6 months after I left. :D

Ah, AFLAC. My first gig in the insurance biz. Wrote some individual biz in the six months I was there, which my manager didn't care for because she thought I should be totally focused on landing group accounts. Just like the 10 thousand other agents in our office.

We would crowd into the Regional Coordinator's office every Friday afternoon for a pep rally, reminding us of the FORTUNE we could all make if we just put in the shoe leather. Sneaked a look at the Top Producing Agent in the Region's computer right after Christmas and saw that she had grossed 40K in commissions for the year. Meaning her net after expenses was probably less than 30K. And she was the STAR in the office.

The whole state organization got termed by AFLAC 6 months after I left. :D

Se what you caused by leaving?

I decided to join Aflac today after meeting with three different dsc from areas around the county. The interesting thing about these meetings were I turned the interviews on them and found it amazing. Yes I am a newbie to selling insurance but that's about the extent of it.

Some observations:
1. Each is truly different in approach, recruiting promises, and work climate.
2. The primary of focus of each is to get you a license and get you recruiting others as fast as you can.
3. The one I chose had a much more holistic approach and does not push Aflac as the only way to make a living.

Moral of the story, IF you choose to go the aflac or colonial route my newbie advise is to poke around the other handful of aflac agencies and see the one that at the very least you can get some good training with and feel confortable with as they are not in the same.

Reading thru this entire Thread I have to give COLONIAL the nod.
Especially since the AFLAC defenders are brand new profiles w/ 1 or 2 total posts? Hmmmmmmm???

Colonial has called on us over the years. I'd only write them if the client insisted. It usually takes a couple of carriers in addition to the med carrier to have a decent set of benefits. I think it was Humana has/used to have a cancer plan that paid for getting a routine physical. Since wellness visits are covered at 100%, the Humana was basically free to the employee especially when premiums were through a 125 plan.

AFLAC eats their own. Survived working with them just long enough to get vested. You will find out your biggest competition is in your AFLAC office. They will hire anyone that can fog a mirror, because everyone knows two or three business owners, write them and let the agent sink or swim after that.
Go door knocking on business in your area and you will find out how many AFLAC agents have been in, in the last year. Many biz owners would rather have a Jehovah Witness show up then another AFLAC agent. Have not worked with them for over a decade maybe things have changed.

I have a friend now retired who spent her entire career with AFLAC. She believed in the product, serviced her block of business and sold a ton. Back then, I was leading with major med and selling ancillary benefits as a package. Ancillary generated almost 50% of the revenue of the group. I always went with whatever carrier I could get the best deal for from. "Best deal" meant for the client measured in terms of value for employees with some weight given to administration including underwriting. The agreement was that when the client had to make the 2nd call to the carrier to straighten something out, they dropped it on my desk instead. I'd offer all available products med, dental, cancer, accident etc as a method of keeping other agents out. It generally worked and business was only lost when the decision maker changed and brought in their agent.

Any carrier can be beat usually if you do enough research - especially the carriers recognized by the public. The client doesn't buy the carrier, they buy you and your knowledge. Bring those and include integrity and money takes care of itself. That said, AFLAC does a good job of getting agents out pitching product. They can be beat both on product and because their admin doesn't (at least didn't) deal with things like 125 plans that need to be customized to include the non-AFLAC products. Their agents may or may not know what they are doing and frequently change. Employers like it when they have someone that will take care of all of the benefits crap that they don't want to deal with.

Latest posts

Back