Columbian Mutual & Columbian Life

I looked at them a while back. They have a funeral pre-need product that is so-so. Not real competative with the competition. Same with their regular final expense. Worst thing was thier reps were very unfamiliar with the products and gave me totally incorrect answers to several questions I had.

The only thing I saw unusual with them is they still have a policy that can be collected monthly (what ever those are called) The agent collects and sends the payments in. Pays around 25% as earned. I wasn't interested in that but some might if they are working a low income area with clients who don't have bank accounts.

One of the few independent companies that still let you write debit. I've been appointed with them for over a year now, and they pay 95% AP first year on whole life debit (paid as earned so no chargebacks). However, they pay 20% residuals thereafter for the life of the policy.

One of the few independent companies that still let you write debit. I've been appointed with them for over a year now, and they pay 95% AP first year on whole life debit (paid as earned so no chargebacks). However, they pay 20% residuals thereafter for the life of the policy.

Yep, as an old debit guy, I like this. However, I have not written much. I kind of do it as a hobby. Have you written much with them? Or a few?

Yep, as an old debit guy, I like this. However, I have not written much. I kind of do it as a hobby. Have you written much with them? Or a few?

I've written mostly bank draft with them these days, but it's nice to be able to write debit as a last resort option. Unless the client is serious about keeping it, I generally don't like writing debit anymore. Most of my debit writing is with the fixed income senior market who like to see their insurance man once a month and won't lapse.

Exactly, EB. Chasing premium around with people who are not serious, is not fun. I think they start out being serious, and it goes away with time. But with bank draft, much better persistency.

Back