Commission Splits

benneaf

Super Genius
Tennessee
I'm coming from the life and health world and am new to P & C. My question is about splitting commissions. On L & H applications from virtually everyone there is a place at the end to put in another agents writing numbers if commissions are being split. So the split happens at the carrier level and each agent receives a separate check for their share of the commission from the insurance company.

My question is...is there the same set up in the P & C world? Is there a place on an application to split commissions? Or does all the commission go to the agent (or agency) writing the policy and then the agent/agency pays out splits at that level?

I'm coming from the life and health world and am new to P & C. My question is about splitting commissions. On L & H applications from virtually everyone there is a place at the end to put in another agents writing numbers if commissions are being split. So the split happens at the carrier level and each agent receives a separate check for their share of the commission from the insurance company.

My question is...is there the same set up in the P & C world? Is there a place on an application to split commissions? Or does all the commission go to the agent (or agency) writing the policy and then the agent/agency pays out splits at that level?

Typically is paid to the hierarchy first and trickles down in an aggregate model. Clusters can work different, with an agency owner and producers it's done in your accounting department. Good management systems will do splits, but P&C checks usually go to one destination, not multiple.

Back