Company Wants to Cancel All my Appointments. Help!

johnnyg

Hi,

I am in the process of contracting with a health insurance carrier so that I can utilize them to write health insurance, the problem is I do NOT want to cancel all my companies. I have trail commissions that come in from these other companies and quite frankly don't feel I should have to cancel EVERY relationship I am in.

They want me to sign form allowing them to cancel all these other appointments as part of their contracting.

My question is how will they know which companies I am contracted with? Does every state show which companies I am contracted with? Is Illinois one of these states?

I have a number of non-res states. Does anyone know which states allow them to know which companies I am contracted with?

Thanks for your help on this.

Johnny

Most states show which companies you are appointed with on their department of insurance websites. One state that doesn't is Arizona. I don't know about Illinois... but just look up your own license and see what shows up.

You should be allowed to keep any contracts where you are receiving trail or renewal commissions. Just because something is in writing doesn't mean it can't be negotiated.

You may need to write up a list of all the companies from whom you are getting trail/renewal commissions from and submit them.

It *may* be possible to have a restricted contract with each one? A contract just for receiving trails/renewals and servicing these clients? I really don't know... but there has to be something that can be done.

If you are forced to give up renewals... without any negotiation... I'd find someone else to contract with. That is simply unreasonable and it shows that they must only work with NEW agents who simply don't know any better.

If it were me I'd run from that health company and never look back. Becoming captive with them would be a step backwords for any independent agent. I think you should seek out some uplines that specialize in health to see if there are other health companies you can contract with that aren't so paranoid. One thought you should consider is what will you do if this heath company doesn't work out. The relationship with all your other appointments may never be same again should you have to "divorce" this new company.

Thanks for the replies. I did check the Illinois dept of ins website and it says I currently have NO company appointments, which is strange because I have a number of them. My question now is would NIPR have more information than can be found on the Illinois Dept of Ins site? I tried to access the NIPR site to see what comes up in regard to me but apparently they want me to sign up with them and pay for that info.

Dont do it. No single carrier is worth doing that for.
Even if their product is great, your independence and the cyclical market will overcome it, and eventually they will be losing out to Indies.

Also, please don't consider circumventing a contract. Of your morals font stop you, consider legal repercussions.

Hi, I am in the process of contracting with a health insurance carrier so that I can utilize them to write health insurance, the problem is I do NOT want to cancel all my companies. I have trail commissions that come in from these other companies and quite frankly don't feel I should have to cancel EVERY relationship I am in. They want me to sign form allowing them to cancel all these other appointments as part of their contracting. My question is how will they know which companies I am contracted with? Does every state show which companies I am contracted with? Is Illinois one of these states? I have a number of non-res states. Does anyone know which states allow them to know which companies I am contracted with? Thanks for your help on this. Johnny

You have a very easy problem. Just make a decision to either sign up (if they are offering something you like) with them and cancel the others or sign up with a different health agency that doesn't ask you to do that. The worst thing you can do is go into a relationship slinking around and hiding what you are doing.

But either way your renewals are fine. Canceling contracts does not affect your renewal income.

Back