Confusing ACA Exemption

ameneses54

Guru
100+ Post Club
One of the legal exemptions for having an ACA plan during 2014 is considering your income bellow your tax filing threshold. Here is were my confusing arises.
For a couple filling jointly the threshold is $20300 (2014), but the FPL for a couple (household of two) was $15730 in the same year. This couple could have obtained insurance if there income was at the FPL for less than $20 a month, but according to the law they qualify for the exemption. For me this really doesn't make any sense.
I'd appreciate input on this matter, especially considering the new SEP break for those who will pay penalty.

Last edited:
Why are you confused? People in very low income brackets (do not have to file taxes) get to choose the option that best suits their needs. Either way, they "can't afford" the penalty.

There are quite a few other scenarios where you can qualify for a subsidy and an exemption.

You have income that qualifies for a subsidy, but are part of a health sharing ministry or a religion recognized to not accept health insurance, for instance.

You qualify for a subsidy, but experienced an eviction/foreclosure/death of a family member/unpaid medical bills (that's really a reason to not have insurance...) This works even if your income is high enough to file taxes.

There are also situations like people between 100-138%fpl in non-medicaid expanded states, they won't be getting penalized for not having coverage.

Back