Considering selling Medicare part time, please advise

I own it.

It's a pretty simple concept - send multiple letters but keep the list smaller with the most likely buyers.

ie if you do any f2f (or even if you don't) - it's likely that you have a better chance of writing the person who lives 5 miles from your office than you have of writing the people 85 miles from your office.

So, smaller lists. 300 is popular.

Then, mail them not one letter, but several letters over a period of several months sequentially.

ie if I mail 300 (more likely due to proximity) people 6 times, I have a better chance of some calls vs mailing 1800 people one time.

Some areas it works better than others.

And if an agent isn't patient they won't get along with this method. Agents who bug me 2 months into it with "I only got 1 call or 0 or only 2" need to find something else to do.

The majority of my book was built using this method in two different states, so I know it works - but it's small sample sizes and the reality is some months will be better than others, and there are even some areas with just some factors (saturation?) that make it not work at all.

You start mailing 9 months before there birthday to month 3 ? So out of those 300 same people you mail month in month out for 6 months approximately how many total will call you and how many will you close by there 65th birthday ? So how many 300 letters per month will you have going at one time . Once you start it for 6 months won’t you always have 1800 letters a month being mailed every months . What incomes you mailing ?

You start mailing 9 months before there birthday to month 3 ? So out of those 300 same people you mail month in month out for 6 months approximately how many total will call you and how many will you close by there 65th birthday ? So how many 300 letters per month will you have going at one time . Once you start it for 6 months won’t you always have 1800 letters a month being mailed every months . What incomes you mailing ?

An agent can do whatever they want - we just print/mail.

I (personally) like starting about 8 months out and sending at least 6.

I have one agent who loves to hit about 5 letters all in that sweet spot of 2-4mo before T65. Different way to skin a cat - but it works.

I (personally) like the last letter to reach them towards the beginning of the last month -- i.e. about 10 days ago my final "June" letter hit mailboxes. People are still deciding around this time for June. Seriously.

Did an experiment and mailed 10 but it wasn't worth the extra.

You asked a lot of questions w/o paragraphs so I'll just say the ROI will be agent/area specific I personally like to see that if I spent $1000 on mailings, I want at least $1000 in FYC. Again, it's inbound so it's not like I'm chasing these people.

Yes - they start to stack on each other so - doing simple math - if your campaigns are 300 x 6 then yes eventually you're mailing about 1800 letters consistenlty. If you're mailing 200 people 4x then with overlap eventually you're doing 800 monthly...

Not many people start Part B at 65. They continue to work. Their spouse is 62 and has group coverage. They have Govt or Corp retirement.

People turning 65 (or so I am told) end up throwing away most of their mail. They complain to me they get numerous pieces and numerous (non compliant) calls a day. They have strangers showing up at their door. They begin to feel stalked and are aggravated by it.

Broker I do a lot of marketing work approached our carriers about T65. Only one would work with us on it--they insisted T65 "dinners" were the best option. I had no interest so my buddy did the meetings by himself. $5000 and 60 dinners later he got zero leads.

I've had ONE thing work all the years I've done this. Somehow I got AARP leads and half of them were lay downs. But those were REactive--the senior actually said HEY SELL ME SOMETHING. The rest of it has seemed to be sprinkling seeds on concrete

Not many people start Part B at 65. They continue to work. Their spouse is 62 and has group coverage. They have Govt or Corp retirement.

People turning 65 (or so I am told) end up throwing away most of their mail. They complain to me they get numerous pieces and numerous (non compliant) calls a day. They have strangers showing up at their door. They begin to feel stalked and are aggravated by it.

Broker I do a lot of marketing work approached our carriers about T65. Only one would work with us on it--they insisted T65 "dinners" were the best option. I had no interest so my buddy did the meetings by himself. $5000 and 60 dinners later he got zero leads.

I've had ONE thing work all the years I've done this. Somehow I got AARP leads and half of them were lay downs. But those were REactive--the senior actually said HEY SELL ME SOMETHING. The rest of it has seemed to be sprinkling seeds on concrete

That’s news to me. I work entirely T65’s. Maybe 25% of my appts are to help people delay part B. Then they get put into my newsletter and reach out to me when they retire.
Someone is getting the T65 sales. Might as well be you.

That’s news to me. I work entirely T65’s. Maybe 25% of my appts are to help people delay part B. Then they get put into my newsletter and reach out to me when they retire.
Someone is getting the T65 sales. Might as well be you.
One thing this page has taught me--there is no "normal" way to do ANYthing

I did a lot of the stuff suggested here and was a huge waste of time and money. My buddy and I just waste 5Gs of a carriers money with zero appts. CLEARLY thats not the case for everyone and glad thats working for you

First 5 years in the biz I worked leads from bconnect UHC--signed people on to supplements and never heard from them again, They never call or email and never reply to emails. Easiest money I ever made. And UHC would set up, pay for AEP meetings and all you had to do was show up and write the apps. Those days are gone

Next ten years did Seminars in AEP and DM rest of the year. Seminars used to kick butt--they dont work any more--not here anyway, Some carriers wont even co-op them any more.

Now I just work referrals, I do educational seminars and "kiosks" at Senior bldgs.

Only think I am considering adding at this point is---desk at Walmart in AEP. My upline says he's had some agents write 100 apps just at the desk.

But think my chasing days are over!

One thing this page has taught me--there is no "normal" way to do ANYthing

I did a lot of the stuff suggested here and was a huge waste of time and money. My buddy and I just waste 5Gs of a carriers money with zero appts. CLEARLY thats not the case for everyone and glad thats working for you

First 5 years in the biz I worked leads from bconnect UHC--signed people on to supplements and never heard from them again, They never call or email and never reply to emails. Easiest money I ever made. And UHC would set up, pay for AEP meetings and all you had to do was show up and write the apps. Those days are gone

Next ten years did Seminars in AEP and DM rest of the year. Seminars used to kick butt--they dont work any more--not here anyway, Some carriers wont even co-op them any more.

Now I just work referrals, I do educational seminars and "kiosks" at Senior bldgs.

Only think I am considering adding at this point is---desk at Walmart in AEP. My upline says he's had some agents write 100 apps just at the desk.

But think my chasing days are over!

I’ve talked to Tons of agents that have worked Walmarts aep and I’ve never heard of anyone writing over 40 and most say they’d never do again . Hell if a person could sit in a Walmart and write 100 no agent would bust his ass 12 hrs a day 7 days a week . I think your fmo is bsing you . Also it seemed you worked mostly middle class before .Walmart will be 90% dual/lis.

I’ve talked to Tons of agents that have worked Walmarts aep and I’ve never heard of anyone writing over 40 and most say they’d never do again . Hell if a person could sit in a Walmart and write 100 no agent would bust his ass 12 hrs a day 7 days a week . I think your fmo is bsing you . Also it seemed you worked mostly middle class before .Walmart will be 90% dual/lis.

Caveat, NOT an agent.

As noted, I am not an agent. At some point in the past, I made a negative comment about WalMart enrollment tables based on the preponderance of responses I believed I had seen here.

As I recall, I received one or two very heated responses to that post indicating resentment towards the attitude and saying the poster had found WalMart tables/booths to be very effective enrollment tools.

So, just be aware that across the full, broad spectrum of agent forum membership, your attitude about WalMart tables will not be universally shared.

also, I have seen either a two or three year aep repeat presence from an agency under a UHC table sign at my local Kroger store. They have been given space within visual distance of the Pharmacy.

Back