Consultative Selling

It's funny that you guys should mention that. The first words out of my mouth are "I'm not here to sell you anything" and then I begin to educate them.

Interesting that you can get a Plan F at $97 for a 65/66 y/o here in Florida, Midwestbroker. I thought United World was a bit higher than that. Hmm actually come to think of it, that has to be for a Select Plan, I don't think UW has a network here in Central Florida. I use Lincoln Heritage and considering Royal Neighbors atm. Lincoln Heritage has been great to me and to my clients though. I love them.

Anyways, yah, educating > selling.

Until 5/1 UW Plan F was about $94 for a female age 65 in LA. Now it's $104. That's for a standard plan. They had a Select plan last year, but it was only a few dollars cheaper per month. I don't know if the Select rates went up or not.

"counselor selling"
At one time all IBM rep's went through the Larry Wilson Counselor's Selling Course.

Era 2: The Problem-Solver
The Era 2 alternative started emerging in the early and middle 1970s. Larry Wilson, author of “Counselor Selling,” and Mac Hanan, author of “Consultative Selling,” were two of its earliest proponents. The emphasis on presenting, closing and handling objections, characteristics of Era 1, is replaced in Era 2 with a focus on questioning, listening, trust and building a relationship with the customer. Training material from Era 1 rarely references listening, because listening had absolutely no relevance to the Era 1 job. The questioning techniques of Era 2 were aimed at developing an understanding of the customer’s needs. These were defined as the gaps between what the customer has and what the customer wants. The job of the salesperson was to understand that gap and then close it with her product, the “solution.” The Era 2 approach has come to be known as “needs-satisfaction selling,” and the role of the Era 2 salesperson is that of problem-solver. In Era 2, buyers could still understand their own problems, but they needed help to understand the product or solution being offered.

Larry Wilson is a case study in how the self-help business has "gone corporate." He founded Wilson Learning Corporation in 1965, sold that company, and in 1983 started Pecos River, a training and consulting firm specializing in "accelerating and facilitating individual and organizational change and growth." Pecos River is now Pecos River Change Management Division of Aon Consulting Worldwide, a firm that can trace its own lineage back to insurance tycoon and self-help maven W. Clement Stone's Combined Insurance Company of America.

Larry Wilson's site.

Last edited:
Lol. We probably have agents on this board who used to sit down with clients using "rate tables." I guess they used an abacus to figure out rate increases:D

Frank, I wasn't aware they had airplanes back then. Did you have air conditioning? :D

Yep, all the air conditioning you could handle. They also gave you a silk scarf to put around your neck and a leather helmet. This was way back in 1997, :D

John,

You mean there is a better way?

"Hold on sir, let me figure in the 20% rate increase."

calc301gm9.jpg

"Hold on sir, let me figure in the 20% rate increase."

calc301gm9.jpg

Wow, that's slicker than the new turd-hearse we just got.

Been to two county fairs and a tractor pull but ain't never seen nutten like that! We ain't got a lot of them-there new-fangled contraptions out here in the country.

Just bought my first pair of shoes, use to borrow the neighbors when we took the eggs to town. Soon as I get 'em paid fer, put 'em in lay awake, I'm gonna have ta get me one of them thar things.

Latest posts

Back