Coverage question-doors and threshhold

jayre

We have a double solid wood front entry door at our home which is 13yrs old. Over the years, moisture through the bottom caused the threshhold to rot. Manufacturer says I need to replace the entire frame including the doors. Will this be covered under my homeowner's insurance?

Attachments

• door.jpg
    door.jpg
    164.3 KB · Views: 9
No. Insurance coverage for homes is for"sudden and accidental". Most likely that any claim will be denied. Call your agent and have them reach out to claims department without identifying the policy number

Will this be covered under my homeowner's insurance?

No.

No need to bother the agent or the claims department. Here are the property exclusions from the Homeowners Policy:

"wet rot."
"wear and tear, marring, deterioration."
"dry rot"

Read your policy. Won't be hard to find the exclusions.

PS: Manufacturer wants to sell you the entire assembly. I suggest you get a local handyman to see about making a new threshold and splicing it in, assuming the bottom of the doors are OK.

Caveat, neither an agent or a handyman.

The issue that shows in your picture is rotting in the floor in the entryway. If the underlayer of plywood or particle board is damaged as bad, or worse than the upper floor, that would increase the amount of repair that has to be done. As far as the door itself is concerned, first it would depend on what the material under the ribbed rubber is. If it is aluminum, then the threshold itself is probably ok. If it is wood, it probably depends on how moist the enclosed space there was for prolonged periods of time. It might be possible that the damage is just in the flooring and underlayment. It might not.

My thought is that you need to have a contractor or handyperson look at it and tell you what's what.

That sounds like a frustrating situation with your front entry door. Dealing with rot in the threshold can be a headache, especially with a solid wood door. As for coverage under your homeowner's insurance, it's essential to review your policy details and speak directly with your insurance provider. They'll be able to give you specific information about what's covered and what's not.
While you're looking into insurance coverage, it might also be worth exploring replacement options for your door and threshold. Checking out options at www.usafiredoor.com could provide you with some helpful ideas. They offer a variety of commercial steel doors that could be a durable and long-lasting solution for your entryway.

Last edited:
Back