Customer Says: I Don't Like the CEO of Progressive

I see what you are alluding to.....

I have an android. There are many companies that I purchase from that I dont agree with politically, but a lot of people feel different and that is on both sides of the political debate.

BTW: UT alum Class of 84. Go Vols

About time someone realized what it stood for.

I find very few truly care, they may say they do, but when they see what it will cost them to stick to their beliefs, then suddenly they stop caring.

Like I said earlier, show the woman the next company and see if she is willing to pay the difference. You'll find out real quick just how important this is to her.

Businesses should stay out of the political environment completely. Isn't business hard enough already as it is? Think about it, why alienate 50% of your clients? Regardless of whom a person voted for, I personally would never advertise nor discuss politics with my clients EVER, even when long time clients tried going there. No way, I am not alienating 50% of my client base. Business is business and let's leave it at that.

I personally would never have Comcast services, shop at Target nor Macys even if their prices were 90% less than the competition but that's another subject plus I am sure these three companies don't care about my dollars anyways because they told me as much when they alienated me which is how your client feels about Progressive. Sure, there are situations that even though you try not to you really have no choice but to purchase a product from a company that alienated you but that's just life.

Lesson of the day is don't alienate 50% of the people you talk to daily.

Businesses should stay out of the political environment completely. Isn't business hard enough already as it is? Think about it, why alienate 50% of your clients? Regardless of whom a person voted for, I personally would never advertise nor discuss politics with my clients EVER, even when long time clients tried going there. No way, I am not alienating 50% of my client base. Business is business and let's leave it at that.

I personally would never have Comcast services, shop at Target nor Macys even if their prices were 90% less than the competition but that's another subject plus I am sure these three companies don't care about my dollars anyways because they told me as much when they alienated me which is how your client feels about Progressive. Sure, there are situations that even though you try not to you really have no choice but to purchase a product from a company that alienated you but that's just life.

Lesson of the day is don't alienate 50% of the people you talk to daily.

Good Post^^^^^ I agree

People say that to me all the time about one company or another... Simple as this... Challenge their objection with fact... fact in price that is...

I respect your discerning opinion Mr Customer, here are your choices...
Progressive $2345
Travelers $3321
Nationwide $4321

I am happy to offer any of the three programs, all similar in coverage, and will allow you to purchase your conscience.

Win Win... Don't spend your customers money. If they don't like your first choice, ALWAYS allow them to see your next best.

They will come to the conclusion quickly how important their stance is, allowing you to stay a stance free advocate and professional trusted consultant for them.

Or you can just "believe" what ever crap your customer believes in. I try to stay neutral when it comes to any political or religious conversation but I've told people that I will pray with them when you need to ask God for guidance (I'm an atheist). I've agreed that "O'bummer" is the the worst. I've agreed that Trump is the worst.

My personal belief is "do what's best for the client." Everything else don't matter.

My most loyal customers know exactly how I believe even when they are polar opposite. If I can demonstrate that my zeal to do what's best for them in my recommendations transcend my personal beliefs I gain a great deal of respect versus all the yes men out there.
Android v Apple
Athiest v Christian
Beatles v Elvis
Trump v Hollywood

Over 11 years, Ive never once had a client ask me or comment on the political leanings of an insurance carrier CEO. Much less make a buying decision based on it.

I sell L&H, so maybe its a P&C thing.

I have Progressive, they were the 2nd cheapest option for me. Imo, the CEO can do whatever he wants with his personal money. I could care less.

I have had annuity clients make comments or ask questions about Trump's effect on the market. One or two have asked my feelings about his economic policies... when they do I tread lightly and mostly talk about Yellen and the Fed.

If a prospect's main worry was about the political leanings of the CEO, Id be very hesitant to take that person on as a client. Such a divisive, shortsighted, & fickle mindset is only going to cause issues in the future.

I see what you are alluding to.....

I have an android. There are many companies that I purchase from that I dont agree with politically, but a lot of people feel different and that is on both sides of the political debate.

BTW: UT alum Class of 84. Go Vols

I would never do business with a Volunteer. Go Gators!

:D Just kidding.

I have had a couple of clients tell me the same thing about Progressive. So, I presented the next most competitive option. One customer bought coverage from the other company that I presented, even though it was higher (they stuck to their values). The other one didn't buy anything from me. If we as agents say that we shouldn't sell on price and that we should sell on value instead to differentiate ourselves and our carriers from the competition, then I see this as a great conversation to have. Now you finally have a prospect that said something besides "Just give me the cheapest". Isn't this a good thing? But it strikes us funny because, for the most part, most agents probably succumb to the pressure to get involved in a price war. Ironically, I see Progressive as one of the carriers that turned insurance into a commodity in most people's minds.

Back