Customer Says: I Don't Like the CEO of Progressive

First, I don't like Progressive. I've had too many cases where progressive stabbed me in the back. They are not your friend. As far as the CEO, this is an old issue that re surfaces some time. Peter Lewis was Progressive's CEO or President and he was very liberal but the money he gave to liberal groups was his personal money. No corporate money was ever spent. He died several years ago.

My best rates for a customer is with Progressive (home and auto). She tells me they cannot buy a policy from that company because of what the CEO stands for. I've heard this from other customers in the past too, so now I want to know why.

I try not to pry into people's personal life, but if I was to group these people, it seems like they lean towards a tea-party political stance and are very conservative religiously. So, is the Prog CEO a liberal atheist? Are these people confusing Progressive with GEICO?

What they are referring to is a long-time myth. The chairman they are talking about is Peter Lewis. He died in 2013. Go to snopes and type in Progressive Peter Lewis and there a long explanation.

Thanks for all the replies! The knowledge gain will help me be better prepared the next time I run into this objection. In this particular case my 2nd lowest priced carrier didn't save them any money over their current carrier, so they're not switching but we'll try again next year.

chaseman: I cannot disagree with you that we should switch the focus to coverage instead of price. However, if the prospect is adequately covered and satisfied with their current policy servicing, I don't have the skill to get them to buy the same thing from me at a higher price!

Last edited by a moderator:
I have met the CEO on an agent trip to Cleveland. She is a very nice lady. Politics are everywhere nowadays. I try my best to keep my beliefs to myself and not mix with business.

If I remember correctly, when you quote with them as an agent, it says "Drive Insurance" on the quote. Technically, you don't need to even mention Progressive, because it's drive insurance paper. This may be a solution for you moving forward.

A while back I ran a quote for a client for his home and auto. It was with the Hartford AARP program and he would have to sign up with them for the rate. He told me he hated AARP, and did not like their politics, and would not become a member to qualify for the quote. Then I told him, if he didn't get an AARP membership, what the next best quote would be. He grumbled a bit, but signed up for AARP and I wrote the policy.

My best rates for a customer is with Progressive (home and auto). She tells me they cannot buy a policy from that company because of what the CEO stands for. I've heard this from other customers in the past too, so now I want to know why.

I try not to pry into people's personal life, but if I was to group these people, it seems like they lean towards a tea-party political stance and are very conservative religiously. So, is the Prog CEO a liberal atheist? Are these people confusing Progressive with GEICO?

I’ve had a similar response from a few different customers before but it wasn’t about the CEO. They didn’t want Progressive, because apparently George Soros has some kind of connection to the company. I guess they were worried their money would be helping fund the Illuminati or Bilderberg Group.

Or you can just "believe" what ever crap your customer believes in. I try to stay neutral when it comes to any political or religious conversation but I've told people that I will pray with them when you need to ask God for guidance (I'm an atheist). I've agreed that "O'bummer" is the the worst. I've agreed that Trump is the worst.

My personal belief is "do what's best for the client." Everything else don't matter.

In other words, be a chameleon? :radar:

Back