Decisions Decisions...

IKnowYouCan

I'm having trouble deciding whether I should send my mom to nursing facility or not. She has a moderate dementia and the news I've been reading on the news isn't at all very convincing

Any thoughts?

There is a lot to consider. What facilities are in your area that can meet her needs? Based on her current income and assets, how long could she remain in the facility, and when her assists run out can she stay there with Medicaid or would she have to move?

Lots to consider...way more then a simple post could handle.

Sent from my iPad using InsForums

I'm having trouble deciding whether I should send my mom to nursing facility or not. She has a moderate dementia and the news I've been reading on the news isn't at all very convincing

Any thoughts?

What news have you been reading?

Any thoughts?

Giving full time custodial care is very expensive even if you do it yourself because of the disruption to your life.

I am assuming your mom doesn't have LTC insurance and this will be paid out of pocket? Actually there are some very nice facilities but you will pay more than 300 per day and the cost will be escalating in the near future partly because of inflation but mostly due to the increasing demand for the care because of the aging population and also due to the increase in life expectancy . There is a perfect storm brewing in the US for LTC cost to spiral out of control in the near future.

Medicaid still pays most of the nursing home cost in the US now but the level of care in these facilities is something to be concerned about. I have been in many of these Medicaid funded nursing homes and most of them are not so nice and some of them are downright scary.

So the bottom-line is if you can afford to pay out of pocket for LTC your mom can get wonderful care and possibly even stay in her home but if you have to get Medicaid to pay for it then it can be hard to find a quality nursing home.

I wish you well with your search.

Have you looked at some of the smaller ALF's? Some only can have 6 people at one location. They tend to be nice family homes because in some areas, they are zoned residential. I know people in some and the care and attention is great!

That is the growing trend...assisted livings that specialize in Alzheimer's care. They just cannot be an elopement risk (wandering off).

Sent from my iPad using InsForums

I agree with what some of these guys are saying. First, determine what kind of care she really needs. Call around and find out the different cost and what kind of care she would be receiving. Does she qualify for any kind of assist. I would check every avenue possible. I wish you the very best.

Back