Deleted Threads

A lot of diverse views on this...and that's what a Forum is for. But one of the comments by djs gets to the crux of the issue.

" Posts should not be edited by anyone, including the original poster, except for minor grammatical or spelling errors. Moderators have the right to remove spam"

That's the root of the problem. Moderators should not ever alter someone else's posts...unless there is spam or offensive material involved. Certainly, we don't want moderators changing the post of someone they are bantering back and forth with.

A simple check of other reputable Forums would verify this.

well thats not happening.....you know how many totally deleted posts that are deleted by the original poster...you see they start to slag their lead co. then realize they have shot themselves in the foot......I could reinstate those post according to chumps.....yes we as mods get to read your deleted posts.....

" Posts should not be edited by anyone, including the original poster, except for minor grammatical or spelling errors.

The reason I don't allow the poster to edit his/her own post on the board I run is someone can make a very inflammatory remark, somebody else respond, the original person goes back and edits their post, making the second person look bad. My system is setup to only allow edits in the first 30 minutes after a post, gives plenty of time for the 'oops' factor, but doesn't allow someone to coerce / entice someone else.

Yes, people on some forums are really evil. Fortunately, not many, but some.

Most forums are not very successful, they have a hard time attracting enough traffic to have a following of any sort. My wife, who is an avid quilter, knew that Alex Anderson was shutting down her message board due to many problems that were popping up. We set a lot of rules based on the issues that were happening on the previous board. We've been going several years, very successfully, and have managed to keep the things pretty sane over the years. If anyone desires, they can check it out at Quilts Your Way Forums - A quilting community message board

The software that drives these forums is pretty amazing on what it can do on the admin side, and what you can add to it.

Dan

Thats a fair point Paul, I have been thinking a lot about it and I have decided on the following official rules.

1. As an official declaration, no moderator may change any posts made by a member with more than 10 posts with the exception of removing vulgarity. I may be able to have this hard coded into the system, but for now, doing so would be a bannable offense. As the site owner I reserve the right to change or delete posts at will.

2. Any threads that are deleted will not be completely deleted, but moved to a special section visible only to myself, where they are subject to review. This way no deletion is permanent and can always be reversed. There will also be a redirect displayed so it can be references.

3. Scott has my support as a moderator. He screwed up by making a joke that went too far and he has been censured for it, and knows it can't happen again. He also works very hard to keep the forum clean of spam and I appreciate that. If he ever takes a vacation, you will see in just a day or two how much crap this guy gets rid of.

4. Anyone who does not like the rules or the way I run the forum is free to disagree. If you want to post about it, that is fine. I have never deleted posts that were critical of me and I don't plan on starting now. Perhaps using Nazi references is a bit strong, but I accept criticism.

I believe that the practices of the forum are within the norms of fairness. If you don't like something, please feel free to go away. I don't believe that anyone who has a problem with my playing both sides, of giving my moderators some extra leeway while trying to placate the other members has ever tried to balance 1500 egos. Moderators who are active on forums will almost always have some self-interest. Either they get paid, or they have a financial interest in looking authoritative or they like feeling in charge, or they get a kick out of being altruistic, or they have some other benefit. Usually, if a moderator doesn't fit this description, then they are not very active and don't spend as much time doing their duties.

I strongly feel that this is the natural order of how internet communities run. I participate in many forums and have discussed this with many forum owners. If I didn't give my mods some extra leeway, then they wouldn't do their jobs well and the duty would fall on me.

You all have spent time writing and participating in the forum, and that is what makes it a success. I know from the many emails I get, that it has helped a lot of people immeasurably, I know it has helped me, both in product knowledge and as a support and a place where I can find other people in my same position. I have spent a lot of money and countless hours on building and marketing the forum so that it can grow. I have my own self-interests and that is my right.

In summation, I agree with the criticism that we need some formal rules and I hope this helps, if you don't like the way I deal with it, feel free to go away and join a different forum. On this forum, you will have to take the good with the bad because the good wouldn't exist without the challenges.

Thank God you posted Sam - I couldn't take another thread bump on this. We have all - well almost all of us have already moved on. And if I was ever the member of a board who wanted to see some changes I'm not exactly sure I'd go about it by insulting and degrading the owner. But to each his own.

Back