Developing relationships with Advisors

I am very technologically impaired and unknowledgable. Have no clue how all that works. :)

I guess that could make sense.

I am on the help with retirement side in the securities business for over 40 yrs, a CFP, RIA, OSJ, and even used to be a notary:) I have a long ago CPA background with old Touche Ross, now Deloitte, and a nerd.

One of my former reps more or less specialized in Medicare, mostly Advantage plans in addition to securities. He did lots of lead lists for Med and then also met their investment needs.

I wanted nothing to do with that - pardon me med mess, and would refer any clients to him interested, mentioned it in newsletters etc.

However, I don't recall anyone with an interest. And I am not going to aggressively market my mostly older, mostly well-off clients for Med referrals. I don't think I ever had a client that would be looking for Final Expenses.

As I recall, one of the issues was you had to not only be licensed with each carrier, take their training separately, and be careful how you would cross-sell anything else. Thus the Med insurance guy working with someone like me makes sense. The problem is some of us older folks are not actively getting new clients but have a good client base other than referrals from them.

The best time to ask about Medicare needs is in the initial planning stage when we talk about a broad range of financial planning issues. So your best bet may be a younger planner who is aggressively expanding business since the initial planning stage seems the best time to inquire about med insurance needs.

I have never cold-called, gone door to door, or rarely ever met a client other than in my office. Or since I have clients all over the US, sometimes by phone or Zoom meetings. I admire those who are outgoing enough to do that.

I have used lead services and a few good clients that way, but it is very frustrating, especially in the last few years to not reach folks by phone, get voicemails not returned, etc, even with intro materials sent with in my humble opinion, my great background :) And my greatest attribute is my humbleness :)

Back