Did You Ever Feel Like Quitting Insurance?

When a policy you sold helped to pay bills save the life of somebody so he can still be alive for his family then it will really stick in your blood about insurance.

Without the insurance he wasn't getting the transplant he needed. he would be dead today. I will never forget this feeling his family crying I'm coming to thank me for that policy and it was very difficult for them to pay the premiums.
No government is going to step in and pay his medical bills.

Did I ever think about quitting the business?

Every day. Even after 26 years.

Why don't I? Well people have come to depend on me for my help, advice and guidance in insurance matters. The longer I work the more people fall into this category.

Who would I work for? Long ago I learned that if you're going to work for an a hole, work for the one in the mirror.

Everyday there are moments I hate the business and love the business. It's a marathon that's all. As long as the good moments outpace the bad, we're ok.

I've been in this business around 30 years. Have I ever felt like quitting -- I guess I would have to say yes, but it was more arriving at a certain point and just wanting to "let it go" and move on. I think it's something everyone has said or felt at some point.

That said, wanting to quit this business, even if the thought was completely sincere, serious, etc. -- is not in my mind reflective of how a person has done over the course of their career. It may be more reflective of a moment in time, not a span or spectrum of time.

This business is not for everyone. It takes a lot to be in this business, and much more to succeed in this business.

Good luck.

Working for yourself is better than working for an a hole any day . Get fired a few times or become a scapegoat for some corporate problem and it will motivate you to do your own thing.
Probably all those people I worked for or or worked with have been fired by now anyway...

I started collecting a debit route with Liberty National on October 3, 1977 when I was 20. I left them on October 3, 1991 and became an independent agent selling mostly Medicare Supplements. In 2001 I lost about $6000 in monthly renewals because of Tricare for Life. I thought about quitting then, but since have sent 3 kids to college, 1 to Troy and 2 to FSU. I recently paid for 1 of my twin girls weddings. 1 more to go and I am done. Probably will only work a couple of days a week just to stay active.

There's just so much starting over: it seems like when you feel the least bit comfortable everything blows sky high and here you go again ... starting over. It is frustrating at best.

Best advice I got that kept me from quitting was to put my "blinders" on the first two years and not look around for anything else. I worked for 3 different insurance outfits in my first year out of college, I stuck it out with the 3rd one. I go that advice right before I started with the 3rd outfit. I stayed there 6 years and during that time I didnt look at other options when I got frustrated.

I think most people quit because they arent making enough money at it. If you are making decent money (which is different based on the individual) then you will justify the risk/reward payoff.

Back