Disability Insurance

Ivan Lendl

I volunteer at a local school. I receive no income, but do receive healthcare insurance.

If I were to become disabled and lost my status as volunteer, I risk losing my healthcare insurance.

Can I purchase disability insurance that would cover the cost of my healthcare premium should I become disabled? If so, through what company?

I am in PA.

Can I purchase disability insurance that would cover the cost of my healthcare premium should I become disabled?

Yes.

But you would be wise to pick a benefit amount that would cover your living expenses as well.

If so, through what company?

There are hundreds of life insurance companies that sell disability insurance. Any life insurance agent can get you a policy.

Now please educate yourself about the basics of private disability insurance. This guide is from the North Carolina Dept of Insurance. I selected it because it's consumer oriented with no ads or solicitations and the basic information is the same no matter what state you live in.

consumer-guide-to-disability-insurance.pdf

Read it and save it on your computer so you can use it for reference.

If there's anything you don't understand after reading it carefully, please feel free to come back to this thread for additional discussion.

The only thing I don't know is whether a person who has no income from employment can qualify for a disability policy. You'll find that out when you talk to insurance agents.

If you can't qualify for disability insurance, consider accident insurance.

volunteer-canned-plan-brochure.pdf (aig.com)

Which can also be obtained through agents.

I volunteer at a local school. I receive no income, but do receive healthcare insurance.

If I were to become disabled and lost my status as volunteer, I risk losing my healthcare insurance.

Can I purchase disability insurance that would cover the cost of my healthcare premium should I become disabled? If so, through what company?

I am in PA.
Not playing tennis anymore?

Yes.

But you would be wise to pick a benefit amount that would cover your living expenses as well.

There are hundreds of life insurance companies that sell disability insurance. Any life insurance agent can get you a policy.

Now please educate yourself about the basics of private disability insurance. This guide is from the North Carolina Dept of Insurance. I selected it because it's consumer oriented with no ads or solicitations and the basic information is the same no matter what state you live in.

consumer-guide-to-disability-insurance.pdf

Read it and save it on your computer so you can use it for reference.

If there's anything you don't understand after reading it carefully, please feel free to come back to this thread for additional discussion.

The only thing I don't know is whether a person who has no income from employment can qualify for a disability policy. You'll find that out when you talk to insurance agents.

If you can't qualify for disability insurance, consider accident insurance.

volunteer-canned-plan-brochure.pdf (aig.com)

Which can also be obtained through agents.
It sounds as if you are bashing him for not being educated on insurance matters, but you don’t know if someone who doesn’t receive income can qualify for disability insurance?

I am in PA.
Disability insurance is designed to replace income only, not healthcare insurance premiums.

Back