Divorce question: Wife awarded house, Husband required to stay on mortgage...

He is already screwed over ;)

If she misses a payment he can file with the court to have the house sold so it's no longer his going concern, so at least that aspect is a non-issue.

True, but at present the court and the loan company see this as his debt... not to mention any future creditors. Courts move like molasses on a cold day.

True, but at present the court and the loan company see this as his debt... not to mention any future creditors. Courts move like molasses on a cold day.

What he said.

Josh-this is not me being funny. I know how this plays out. The guy is "trying" to be the nice guy and let the kids stay in the house after the divorce, knowing she can't afford to refinance it on her own.

At some point, they are going to pissy with each other over whatever (probably the new GF or wife) and she is going to pull her hole card. And it takes years to get out of the mess.

Last edited:
What he said.

Josh-this is not me being funny. I know how this plays out. The guy is "trying" to be the nice guy and let the kids stay in the house after the divorce, knowing she can't afford to refinance it on her own.

At some point, they are going to pissy with each other over whatever (probably the new GF or wife) and she is going to pull her hole card. And it takes years to get out of the mess.

Not to mention the tax mess this will create... this is messed up in far more ways then one, and I'm sure everyone has thier own take on it... courts will rule the day but then it becomes a "crap shoot".

What he said.

I'm thinking decades ;)

Is the court requiring the husband to make the mortgage payments as part of the divorce settlement? How about the taxes and insurance?

Back